Cost for recall

Discussion among members of the development team.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dorgendubal

Cost for recall

Post by Dorgendubal »

The cost for a recall is fixed in the game (20) and independant of the unit. That means that it's very advantageous for expensive units but not for cheap units (excepts those with XP).

I suggest a proportional cost to initial cost plus a value which depends on the XP/rank of the unit.

For example:
recall a horseman with 0 XP: 0.5 * (28 ) + 0 = 14
recall a elvish archer with 30 XP: 0.5 * (22) + 0.2*(30) = 17
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Well, the main idea of recall is to use it to get back your powerful units from the previous scenario. If you want weaker units, you should recruit them.

However I do agree that having players recruit a whole heap of mages or horsemen at the end of a level so they can get them back cheaply next level is not something we want.

Originally (version 0.1) recall cost nothing at all, but you could only recall units of level 2 or higher.

It was decided that it'd be nice if you had a unit that was part way to advancing, but was still on level 1, if you could get it back. The problem was that a player could just recruit many units in a level, and recall them all very quickly next level, and overwhelm the level very quickly with many units.

The 20 gold 'tax' on recalls is meant to hinder this tactic, and to prevent players from being able to recall too many units.

I think I may further solve the problem by making it that level 1 units with 0 experience cannot be recalled - you should recruit such units, not recall them.

I am also considering adding a unit trait, 'loyal'. Units that are loyal would have something like half the cost to recall, and no maintenance cost.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote:I am also considering adding a unit trait, 'loyal'. Units that are loyal would have something like half the cost to recall, and no maintenance cost.
Sounds great. Maybe when unit gains level there is chance (1 of 10?) that it becomes a loyal unit - when you fight side by side a bond is created...

Hiring a new unit that is immediately loyal sounds a bit weird to me.

- Miyo
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

I think that he's talking about some special units and/or hight level ones.
Or maybe is talking about making loyal a unit trait like strong or inteligent...
Oh Dave can you enlighten us :-)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I was talking about making it another trait that a unit gets when it's created, like strong and intelligent.

I think that some people would be loyal soon after being hired, especially if it were to a cause as honorable as Konrad's :-)

I do want to look at making it that different types of units are more likely to have different traits. Orcish units are more likely to have traits like "brutal".

Another trait I'm considering is 'lucky'. Lucky units would have something like 20% less chance to be hit for any hit that would kill them. The main problem I can see with this though, is that many human players would not highly value the lucky trait among their own units, but would HATE lucky enemies.

More/different suggestions for traits are welcome.

Making a chance of a unit becoming loyal after remaining with you for a while is a good and orthoganal idea, I'll consider implementing it.

Something else that I'm looking into doing is making it that after advancing to the highest level, a unit can continue to improve by gaining new skills. E.g. an Elvish Champion might be changed to need 100xp to advance. When it 'advances', you get asked which area you want your champion to improve in... strength -> more damage, endurance -> more hitpoints, speed -> more movement, initiative -> 'first strike'* ability, etc.

The champion would then need 200 xp to get to choose another area to improve in (it couldn't choose the same area again), and 300xp for the third time, and so forth.

That way, there would still be some, limited, ways for you to get experience and improve units that are otherwise at the highest level.

Now this is getting a little off the topic of the original suggestion! :-)

David

* the 'first strike' ability is a not-yet-implemented ability that fmunoz suggested to me a while ago - it means that a unit always gets to strike first, even when it's defending.
miyo

Post by miyo »

fmunoz wrote:Or maybe is talking about making loyal a unit trait like strong or inteligent...
I think _he_ was talking about trait like strong/intelligent/quick. But that does not stop us refining the idea and brining it further *grin*

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote: The champion would then need 200 xp to get to choose another area to improve in (it couldn't choose the same area again), and 300xp for the third time, and so forth.
Maybe when unit advances a level player good choose one ability to enhance? (of course you would have to tune template levels down a bit to keep the balance): more strikes, more strenght, faster moving, more hitpoints...

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave wrote:More/different suggestions for traits are welcome.
Coward - when unit has lost 1/2 of its HP it will panic and flee (move opposite direction from nearest enemy, possibly in the hands of other enemies).

Fearsome - enemy units next to fearsome unit might panic and flee.

Courage - unit does not panic/flee.

Maybe fear/morale/panic should be implemented anyway. If there are no friendly units anywhere near and number of horders are approacing -> time for a courage check.

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Sorting would be nice in recall list. It would be nice if units could be deleted from recall list.

How about table for recalling (and maybe for recruiting)... showing hp, xp, moves, etc. This combined with sorting (being able to sort by moves, hp, etc.).

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave,

any possibility for sortable unit table for recalling? Sortable by unit class, hit points, level, moves, total melee damage, total ranged damage, anything else?

I think it would really help recalling.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I think the best I can do without a fairly great deal of work at the moment is to have one sorting criteria that is applied (non-configurable).

I've implemented a fix which is to sort units by their level, and then by their cost. If you think the sorting criteria should be something other than this please let me know.

David
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

That seems the best way to order them., but also include XP

Level, Cost AND XP
miyo

Post by miyo »

I would rather have them sorted by: level, unit class, move, exp.

How about that table so you could see unit, level, move, hitpoints and traits all at glance?

Any possibility for multi-selection... click to select/deselect and press recall to... recall. If there are not enough free slots for selected recalls make the recall-button inactive (gray?).

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Yes a table can be done.

No, multiple selection wouldn't be easy :-(

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Static sorting and table... that is quite an improvement over the existing recalling. Did I hear you say "It will be in 0.4.2? *grin*

- Miyo