Northern Winter

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ave

Northern Winter

Post by Ave »

This level seems tough, not because of the monsters (though they are quite strong), but because i have to wipe both of the leaders in 24 turns. I've managed to wipe one and get reinforcements, but i made that only in turn 16. The passage between the two orc keeps is too treacherous (especially because the second orcish group was somewhat untouched by my army). What about one or more of these:
1. make the passage between the two orc keeps all forest, favouring elves.
2. increasing the time limit.
3. decreasing the amount of resources to the second orc group.
This level could be somewhat slower paced after that hurried passage over the Ford of Abez.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Gryphons.
Lots of gryphons.
and go for the harder orc first. you'll kill them both at about the same time. By using gryphons and arch mages, you can get a really powerful unit around as fast as you can get a gryphon around.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Ave

Post by Ave »

Umm, but apparently i cannot summon them. The griffon mother was killed by an ogre without having chance to protect it. And well, i got only a simple red mage :)
Circon

Post by Circon »

Even the the mother gryphon was killed by an ogre, you should be able to recruit gryphon riders.

I'd support adding a few turns. This is sort of a "rest" scenario where you finish several turns early and get a reward for it.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Circon wrote:Even the the mother gryphon was killed by an ogre, you should be able to recruit gryphon riders.
Not anymore. Now that scenario is a race: whoever kills the mother gryphon first gets the eggs. If an Ogre kills her first, then you can never recruit gryphon riders.
Circon wrote: I'd support adding a few turns. This is sort of a "rest" scenario where you finish several turns early and get a reward for it.
I will bump it up to 30 turns. This will give the opportunity for a good player to get LOTS of gold though.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Circon

Post by Circon »

Dave wrote: Not anymore. Now that scenario is a race: whoever kills the mother gryphon first gets the eggs. If an Ogre kills her first, then you can never recruit gryphon riders.
Keeeh-RAP! I can never seem to get there first, as I have little gold after the Valley, and Ogres have fast mountain movement!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Circon wrote:
Dave wrote: Not anymore. Now that scenario is a race: whoever kills the mother gryphon first gets the eggs. If an Ogre kills her first, then you can never recruit gryphon riders.
Keeeh-RAP! I can never seem to get there first, as I have little gold after the Valley, and Ogres have fast mountain movement!
The human general has been given less resources than previously, to compensate. Still, it's kinda tough to get there first...but, it kinda should be :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ave

Post by Ave »

Ok, so both of the scenarios have been relaxed a bit?
kmj

Post by kmj »

Ouch, wow.. no more gryphons if you can't kill her first.. yikes....
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

don't let the human enemy (on gryphon mountain) get ogres. it is, i think, technically impossible to get to the gryphon before his ogres do, and after that it is luck whether the gryphon mother is killed before you can get there or not.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Christophe33

Post by Christophe33 »

I had no problem killing the mother gryphon...by shear luck...She moved to take a village just a few hex from Defendor. I replayed that scenario a few time and the recruitment behavior of the general is very heratic. One of the time he just recruited a single scout the first round, same for the second, then one horseman...and started recruiting ogre only when I was coming close to the keep.
But even when it recruited orgre at the first round I was able to get there barely before using Defendor rushing there while the ogre stopped to fight a sleeping gryphon...note that the sleeping gryphon never wakes up to attack me.
Anyway I don't like much nor use much the gryphon rider...at most one unit. Northern winter is still winnable using some Paladin charging north plus some rangers/holy avanger, shyde and outrider. The gryphon help getting the westward villages fasters but that's it. I like the weather effects in this scenario.
Never tell a dwarf that he shortchanged you!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

what difficulty level is this on? the general might not attack the mother gryphon at first on other levels (I'm playing on medium)
actually, this is probably in the newest version, and i have the next-to-newest version, so hopefuly the general is weaker now.
The World of Orbivm
Ave

Post by Ave »

It is doable, almost easy :) If you start right on the griffons.
I played it only on easy difficulty.
The Northern Winter scenario is also doable now, (actually i made it in 18 turns, but i intentionally trained lots of units in the previous levels to prepare for this one).
I think the game is 'balanced' up until this on the easy level.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

I don't think that Northern Winter should be extended to 30 turns.

At most, to 26 or 28, if at all. Otherwise, it's too easy.

The whole points should be that players need to split their forces.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Ave

Post by Ave »

Yes, previously my problem was that i lost most of my trained units in the 'princess of wesnoth' scenario.
You can lose the game without noticing it in time. So, if you don't have a group of trained units, you will need to train them on this level.
Btw, this 'little money' isn't a problem. The time limit could be raised only on the easy level.
I'm already back to 200-300 in the 'choice must be made' scenario, the sceptre took some gold out of my pocket.