Importing ANCIENT maps

Discussion of all aspects of the game engine, including development of new and existing features.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SurekUr

Importing ANCIENT maps

Post by SurekUr »

Greetings everyone! (My first post in the official forum. :D)

In the "good ol' days" - when trolls were green, and Konrad were a cute child book character instead of a badass crusader - the game had some huge, unbalanced, but also somehow interesting maps.
Today I'm in a nostalgic mood so I'm decide to import some of these maps into 1.14, so i wrote a short script to convert old (currently especially 0.7.11) maps. (wmllint only handle one main version difference) I tried it with my favorite old multiplayer scenario called "BattleWorld", at first when i loaded it looked right in the minimap, when I loaded in the 1.14 mapeditor, but then I realized its isn't exactly right and the columns are shifted in an unexpected way. :?
See:
Spoiler:
I can not find it out what happened. In which version changed the map coding that dramatically, then the order how tiles coded are changed? And what is the difference? Wesnoth is currently more than 16 years old, it would be nice to make a nostalgia mappack. :) Here are my ugly python(2.7) script (ok a python script can not be ugly :P , but please keep in mind i dont write anything in python in the past half year (and don't write anything in English in the past three mouths :mrgreen: ) At the first time I wanted to use lua table syntax for python dicts and then wondering why its make syntax error :roll: Soo its a very dirty prototype code.):
Spoiler:
Also here is the BattleWorld map from 0.7.11:
Spoiler:
I'm also searched in the old source files to get the place when map is loaded/ init-ed, to make my life easier, when searching for the other remaining terrain letters (the current ones just the ones which are in the battleworld map, thanks God the old map format is easy to read, and im remember for this map well to know where to find what :P ) of the 0.7, but i think I will find it soon, just tell me if I'm wrong when I think its in map.cpp or in the map header file.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Importing ANCIENT maps

Post by octalot »

Did you try wmllint-1.4 ? It handles stuff older than wmllint, and seems to have support for single-letter maps.
SurekUr

Re: Importing ANCIENT maps

Post by SurekUr »

octalot wrote: July 31st, 2019, 6:40 pm Did you try wmllint-1.4 ? It handles stuff older than wmllint, and seems to have support for single-letter maps.
Thank you sir, and specially thank you for your fast reply! :)
I feel myself so silly right now. I think I spend my whole evening trying to solve this, searching in the forums writing script, thinking what gone wrong, searching in old source files, writing here etc... But I didn't realized there is a wmllint-1.4 just next to wmllint, and because wmllint didn't worked (cant import a modul what is alredy installed), and I read in several places that its not support old stuff I didn't even try to fix it... :oops: With wmllint-1.4 I'm able to update and load maps properly, thank you again! :D