Pilauli's Art

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Pilauli

Pilauli's Art

Post by Pilauli »

Hi everyone! I've been lurking on and off for a while and drawing units. I finally got one "finished".

(That's partly because I don't care as much about this one, so I'm not trying so hard to make it perfect. The greenery is too plasticky and blurry, and I'm not going to spend hours admiring it, but I don't think it sticks out like a sore thumb, either, so I've decided it's good enough.)

It's supposed to be a level 1 for the Wose Shaman.
Baseframe, attack, baseframe, defend, repeat.
Baseframe, attack, baseframe, defend, repeat.
young-shaman.gif (6.36 KiB) Viewed 462 times
The hands, face, and roots were initially copied from the regular wose (including their relative positions in the animated frames), and the branches with teamcolor rags are copied from the Wose Shaman. The rest is made of freehand attempts to mimic thespaceinvader's awesome Wose Shaman.

I need name suggestions. I've been calling it a "Young Wose Shaman" (also "unit-that-advances-to-wose-shaman" and "not sure what to call this yet"), but I want to be able to pick a standard name before I post the frames anywhere.
IceTyp

Re: Pilauli's Art

Post by IceTyp »

I have some name suggestions.
What about Wose Seer or Wose Diviner?
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

Its decent however i would suggest filling in empty space between the arm and the back with dark brown/green to give a appearance of canopy shade. Also try adding a little more foliage to the left side feels a little bare to me.

As of suggestions for names; Wose caregiver, custodian, listener.
currently there is not much information describing wose shamans to give hints about what they do in the forest. I figure they are wose that takes care of the forest tending to its needs compared to the normal wose which act more like wardens/protectors of the forests. However names and descriptions should atleast correlate. If you know the description it might help in naming the unit.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

You're right, filling in the empty space could make it look a lot greener without having to draw too much.

All I really have is that it's like a wose shaman, but smaller. Literally the only description I'm working from is the wose shaman description that just says this:
These woses are able to command forest plants such as vines and creepers to hinder their enemies.
They also look kind of like willows, so I think they should be slightly better in swamp and shallow water than regular woses are.

Names are hard: ideally, the perfect name will indicate the powers they have (magically animate plants), not imply powers they don't have (detecting hidden or far-away stuff), it'll sound snappy, and it'll sound wise but not quite as wise as "shaman".

Maybe I should see whether the writing subforum has anything about wose shamans.

---

Update: Writing subforum has fuzzy concepts of nature's wrath and woses controlling plant life. Woses may or may not actually be trees possessed by faerie spirits. Nothing conclusive.

I got to thinking about how willows are supposed to grow pretty fast, and about my ideas for these woses doing a little better in wet environments, and what with one thing and another, here's a description draft:

"Among woses, some are more active than others. (UNIT NAME)s move slower than most woses, but seem to seek more stimulus than their deep-forest brethren: they stand by gurgling creeks, observe migrating birds, and apparently have an affinity with fast-growing vines and creepers. This ability to control plant life serves them better in combat than their own strength, considerable though that is."

(Although they're honestly pretty wimpy. At least compared to regular woses. The ranged attack is their one major advantage.)

Based on this description-draft, then Seer and Listener are back in the running because those appear to refer to their curiosity about the world around them. But Wose Seer has annoying stacked sibilants, and Wose Listener sounds to my ears like it's a mundane, even casual, word where I need a fancy one.
lhybrideur

Post by lhybrideur »

I had Woose Wise in mind but that would be more a lvl3 unit I think.
I like Woose Listener though.
IceTyp

Post by IceTyp »

Pilauli wrote: September 20th, 2020, 7:14 pm But Wose Seer has annoying stacked sibilants,
To avoid those stacked sibilants, you could place a word between Wose and Seer, e.g. Wose Life Seer, Wose Vine Seer, Wose Plant Seer.
Edwylm

Post by Edwylm »

The wose are mysterious but I'll pick at some statements from the unit descriptions that might help.

wose unit
"The motives and workings of their kind are unknown, though most subscribe to the obvious theory that woses are dedicated wardens of the natural world. "

elder wose unit
"Woses have been said to possess many shapes, all of them tree-like in form, and as they age, to increase in size. Tales tell of woses who resemble trees in this respect as well, towering over the creatures who walk beneath them. This is the greater part of why they are so rarely seen — standing in the slumber which they so often do, a wose of that stature appears to be nothing more than an oddly-shaped tree. Even a careless elf can sometimes be fooled."

However before I continue we should move this topic to the writers thread before the moderators get mad.
Pilauli

Post by Pilauli »

Okay, a moderate amount of stewing and procrastination later, and Wose Listener has started sounding like a better and better name.
Edwylm wrote: September 20th, 2020, 6:56 pm I would suggest filling in empty space between the arm and the back with dark brown/green to give a appearance of canopy shade. Also try adding a little more foliage to the left side feels a little bare to me.
Filling in the empty space really does make a big difference, thanks! I can't find a good spot to put more greenery on the left arm, though, so I'll take the easy way out and leave it bare.
Old
Old
young-shaman.gif (6.36 KiB) Viewed 216 times
New
New
young-shaman-2.gif (6.54 KiB) Viewed 216 times
And with that, I'm declaring this unit done enough. If anyone wants to use it, go ahead.
I'm thinking swampy scenarios could maybe use some walking trees...
wose-listener.zip
Contains a bunch of nested folders, 4 wose-listener images, and a unit cfg file.
(17.59 KiB) Downloaded 24 times