gettext_boost.cpp

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
vghetto

gettext_boost.cpp

Post by vghetto »

Hi,

I have a "strange" computer setup and specs, but I'm wondering does anyone else experience problems compiling gettext_boost.cpp?

It's not a big file, but for some reason my computer chokes when it compiles that file with cmake.
With scons it freezes with gettext_boost.cpp and the computer becomes unresponsive.

I run a live debian (of sorts) distro, so RAM is already an issue for me, and there is no swap.
gnombat

Re: gettext_boost.cpp

Post by gnombat »

vghetto wrote: September 14th, 2020, 8:56 am It's not a big file
That doesn't mean much with C++ because a .cpp file can (and probably will) include thousands of lines of other files...

It may just be that you are running out of memory. When I try to compile that file, it uses over 1.5 GB memory:

Code: Select all

$ /usr/bin/time g++ -o build/release/gettext_boost.o -c -Werror=non-virtual-dtor -std=c++11 -Wold-style-cast -Wall -Wextra -pthread -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -fPIE -O3 -include boost-patched/bind/arg.hpp -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_X11 -DLOAD_REVISION -DFIFODIR='"/var/run/wesnothd"' -DWESNOTH_PATH='"/usr/local/share/wesnoth"' -DLOCALEDIR='"translations"' -DHAS_RELATIVE_LOCALEDIR -Ibuild -Isrc src/gettext_boost.cpp
30.68user 1.13system 0:31.85elapsed 99%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 1625972maxresident)k
0inputs+9360outputs (0major+458297minor)pagefaults 0swaps
For comparison - when I compile scripting/game_lua_kernel.cpp (which is the largest .cpp file in the Wesnoth source code) it uses less than 1 GB memory:

$ /usr/bin/time g++ -o build/release/scripting/game_lua_kernel.o -c -Werror=non-virtual-dtor -std=c++11 -Wold-style-cast -Wall -Wextra -pthread -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -fPIE -O3 -include boost-patched/bind/arg.hpp -D_REENTRANT -DHAVE_LIBDBUS -DHAVE_FRIBIDI -DHAVE_HISTORY -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_X11 -DFIFODIR='"/var/run/wesnothd"' -DWESNOTH_PATH='"/usr/local/share/wesnoth"' -DLOCALEDIR='"translations"' -DHAS_RELATIVE_LOCALEDIR -Ibuild -Isrc -isystem /usr/include/SDL2 -isystem /usr/include/cairo -isystem /usr/include/glib-2.0 -isystem /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/glib-2.0/include -isystem /usr/include/pixman-1 -isystem /usr/include/freetype2 -isystem /usr/include/libpng16 -isystem /usr/include/pango-1.0 -isystem /usr/include/harfbuzz -isystem /usr/include/dbus-1.0 -isystem /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dbus-1.0/include -isystem /usr/include/fribidi src/scripting/game_lua_kernel.cpp
13.53user 0.81system 0:14.37elapsed 99%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 946136maxresident)k
0inputs+4120outputs (0major+272173minor)pagefaults 0swaps
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

Thank you for looking into the cause.
I wonder if that file can be broken up and built into 2 objects and then linked to half that insane 1.5GB footprint.
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I'm not sure what compiler you're using, but you might want to try using clang if you haven't already; I tested it and it seems to use quite a bit less memory than gcc (less than 1 GB).

$ /usr/bin/time clang++ -o build/release/gettext_boost.o -c -Werror=non-virtual-dtor -std=c++11 -Wold-style-cast -Wall -Wextra -pthread -Qunused-arguments -Wno-unknown-warning-option -Wmismatched-tags -Wno-conditional-uninitialized -Wno-unused-lambda-capture -Wno-unused-local-typedefs -Wno-maybe-uninitialized -fPIE -O3 -include boost-patched/bind/arg.hpp -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -D_X11 -DLOAD_REVISION -DFIFODIR='"/var/run/wesnothd"' -DWESNOTH_PATH='"/usr/local/share/wesnoth"' -DLOCALEDIR='"translations"' -DHAS_RELATIVE_LOCALEDIR -Ibuild -Isrc src/gettext_boost.cpp
27.54user 0.46system 0:28.06elapsed 99%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 897048maxresident)k
0inputs+2272outputs (0major+226473minor)pagefaults 0swaps
vghetto

Post by vghetto »

As suggested, I installed clang and passed the flag -DCMAKE_CXX_COMPILER=clang++ to cmake.
Few hours later, it successfully compiled 1.12, 1.14 and 1.15 with no freezing or lagging the mouse cursor even once!

Thank you so much. Your suggestion was super helpful.