old (0.4.8) save games not working in new versions (0.5)?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

yawningdog wrote:Or they get a limited number of "save game" slots per scenario.
not slots, because you can reuse slots, you need limited number of saves. say 3 saves per scenario?
-BrassJ
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

My vote is for only autosave and saves at the end of the turn
yawningdog

Post by yawningdog »

"not slots, because you can reuse slots, you need limited number of saves. say 3 saves per scenario?"
That's what I meant.
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

fmunoz wrote:My vote is for only autosave and saves at the end of the turn
I will go with that. If I can't beat a level, I find that I need to change my strategy, which means mid scenarios won't work
-BrassJ
miyo

Post by miyo »

Number of saves does not necessarily matter. We can make the server register every save and load. Beating level on champion difficulty without any saves speaks for itself against gaining victory with 25 saves and 15 loads.

- Miyo
BrassJ

Post by BrassJ »

thats true... :) and hopefully that person will be nice to me in a multi game.
-BrassJ
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The way it'd work with a server-verified game is that there'd be no concept of 'saving' your game: the server would do it automatically.

You'd connect to the server, and say you want to play a server-verified game. You'd start playing, and when you were done for the session, you'd quit. Next time you connect to the server, it'll remind you that you have an unfinished verified game going on, and ask if you want to continue it.

You could likely still save the game onto your local disk if you wanted, but once you load a saved game from disk (rather than the server), it's no longer considered a verified game, just a normal game.

David

Post by Guest »

Dave wrote:The way it'd work with a server-verified game is that there'd be no concept of 'saving' your game: the server would do it automatically.

You'd connect to the server, and say you want to play a server-verified game. You'd start playing, and when you were done for the session, you'd quit. Next time you connect to the server, it'll remind you that you have an unfinished verified game going on, and ask if you want to continue it.

You could likely still save the game onto your local disk if you wanted, but once you load a saved game from disk (rather than the server), it's no longer considered a verified game, just a normal game.
basically it's two different savegames - you could still load the vertified save from the server ...but you'd have to go from where you've saved (on the server!) ...i like it :D
miyo

Post by miyo »

Anonymous wrote: basically it's two different savegames - you could still load the vertified save from the server ...but you'd have to go from where you've saved (on the server!) ...i like it :D
I disagree because you could then easily: save the game on server -> download savegame -> test tactics with local save(s) -> continue at server.

- Miyo
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:
Anonymous wrote: basically it's two different savegames - you could still load the vertified save from the server ...but you'd have to go from where you've saved (on the server!) ...i like it :D
I disagree because you could then easily: save the game on server -> download savegame -> test tactics with local save(s) -> continue at server.

- Miyo
I don't see this as that much of a problem, because you wouldn't know which tactics are best due to randomness making things turn out differently. It'd certainly take alot of trial-and-error iterations to work out what the best move is, and I'm dubious that it'd work better than simply analyzing the position closely.

Anyway, the general understanding of a server-verified game would be that it's a game played by someone who had as many 'dry runs' as they wanted, but only one 'wet run'.

David