Summoners

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
andrythecreator

Summoners

Post by andrythecreator »

i have an idea for a new unit-kind.
the idea is a summoner with special powers that can trasform map objects(trees and other such as that) in monsters that can fight for him against the enemies.
a basic idea was a weak summoner (start lvl 0) with the power to trasform trees in weak living tree, like woose, but weak like undeads. when the summoners get to lvl 1, it can summon units(undeads as main) from the ground, but alway weak. at level two it can summons more units and a bit more powerful, like a little base.
for not making the summoner the best unit ever, the melee attack is desactivated or weak at high levels(like 2), a weak mage attack and the summon power where you must click the ground or an item for summon the units. the summoning may consume HP depending of the monster strenght, and the experience earned is like killing a monster lvl 0 at level 0, killing a monster lvl 1 at lvl 1...
i'm not a computer expert so i can't make any artwork, but the idea was like a lich or dark mage.
the summoner, only for undeads and orcs.
please make comments on it,thanks
Chris NS

Post by Chris NS »

A level 0 unit with the power to create other level 0 units would be insanely overpowered.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Some advancement lines in TL's Heroes' Arena let you animate a tree hex into a Wose or a dirt hex into a Mudcrawler. So, it's already quite possible to do such a thing in Wesnoth.

Needless to say, that kind of stuff isn't ever going to see mainline. It would be interesting, however, if you wanted to base an era or campaign off of this idea.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I think a summoner of weak lvl 0 elementals could make an interesting unit in a faction... It would have to be carefully balanced, however, and he wouldn't be able to gain XP via summoning (similarly to how healers still have to fight to get XP). The unit would be lvl 1 (or maybe even lvl 2) and his lvl would really only affect the cost/negative-effect/time/whatever of summoning (and his attack/HP).

As for your original idea, I think it's a little overpowered and would definitely disrupt the balance of Default if you wanted Northerners/Undead to have the unit.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

CABD.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

Shadow Master wrote:CABD.
(Can Already Be Done).

Seconded. This is not something that's ever going to be in the standard mainline factions, but you could certainly create it yourself. There's some handy links in the "Create" link (in the black bar up the top of this page) that can help you do that, and the Factions and Eras forum is a good place for help if you get stuck.

I'm creating a bunch of units (a faction) myself at the moment - it's a lot of fun...
ubertuna-1

Post by ubertuna-1 »

I am thinking about putting this into one of the units in my faction. It would be the level 2 summoner in the mage tree and he would be able to summon the spirits/corpses of units that he has killed? Kind of like a delayed plague effect?
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Answer given... I don't think there needs to be anymore said.

I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.