The Blacklist

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

yoki

Re: The Blacklist

Post by yoki »

don't post your opinions if you don't want them discussed :)

dinner and bedtime are events which you can perfectly plan not to interrupt your game,
if you cannot plan your time enough to avoid dinner and bedtime while you are playing
you are simply not mature enough to play.. the concept of paying respect to other people
by planning your own time not to interfere with others is a social concept which should be
followed both online as in real life if you don't want people against you..

with that said i have never met anyone in wesnoth who had quitted a game because
of any reasons like that. quitters just quit without a word :)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I've quit for grandparents coming home I don't know how many times. My friends know it's a distinct possibility and are fine with it. I don't tell others cuz then I don't get to play =(. When my grandparents are home I can't really play wesnoth, I'm hanging out with them. I could finish a game with 5 minutes left in it, but not an hour plus as the case often is. I tell my opponent I have to go and leave.

Also, some people have very limited time to play yoki (me being one of them) because of other responsibilities. If the only time they have to play is the hour, hour and a half before dinner and the game runs long, they may have no choice.
Mica

Post by Mica »

Sometimes I accidentally quit Wesnoth and I just don't feel like loading it back up again, or maybe I'm having problems connecting again. Usually people understand.

Anytime I play with those good players (jb, anakayub, grrr) they're fine with me leaving if I end up getting bored, or I'm frustrated, or whatever. Though it doesn't happen often, they're at least okay with it.

There's no problem with it, why be mad at someone if they're having no fun? I mean come on, that's like trying to force them to be bored.

But I do think you should say something first, and not do it too often.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
yoki

Post by yoki »

1. if you are not sure that you don't have time to play a game: don't play.
playing although you know you have might have to quit is implying that your time is worth more than others,
that is not considered descent in any social situation.

2. if you're have an agreement with other players about quitting that is fine, this thread
does not concern quitting which all parts agreed on. it concerns players who quit because they
cannot take a loss or because they got bored with the game, or because they are retards in general.
yoki

Post by yoki »

mica: people who only are enjoying games when they are in a winning position should not play games where
there is a chance that they can lose :)
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

yoki wrote:dinner and bedtime are events which you can perfectly plan not to interrupt your game,if you cannot plan your time enough to avoid dinner and bedtime while you are playing
you are simply not mature enough to play..
FAIL.

While dinner has never interrupted a game of mine, sometimes my parents want me to go to bed earlier than usual, and I can see how it is possible for someone to get interrupted because of dinner even if they planned.

Also, games sometimes go longer than expected, and "planning" to have your game finish before dinner is not foolproof... :roll:
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
yoki

Post by yoki »

see the paragraph for asking mom before play to avoid bedtime.
i can make a childrens colored guide to wesnoth multiplayer server as
an addition to the manual if this concept is unclear..
A Guy

Post by A Guy »

You seriously expect me to ask my mother before playing a game of Wesnoth? And do you seriously think she'll find it okay to allow me to stay up longer because I'm in a game?
I'm just... a guy...
I'm back for now, I might get started on some work again.
Mica

Post by Mica »

You're taking this way too seriously, there's usually obs that'd be okay with filling in, local player, ai, whatever.

You're being way too strict, when people need to leave, it's really their business why, and it shouldn't matter if it's because they're getting bored or if it's because they're mom is dying in the other room.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Mica's pretty much got the point here. If I have 50% of the units of the other player and it'll be 7 more turns before he can corner me, but that could take up 45 minutes, I think I'm entirely within my rights to concede the game and leave. I'm leaving because it would be boring to play it out and give the other player the satisfaction of killing every single one of my units. I -rarely- play an MP game til I see the 'victory' sign. Some people get bored faster than others; can you fault them?

I think, however, that leaving when there is still a definite possibility of making a comeback or leaving after just one lucky attack is slightly different from the above. I agree that if someone can't take being in the disadvantageous position for even a couple turns, Wesnoth MP might not be the best place for them. But you're making this so black and white. IF YOU QUIT YOU DONT DESERVE TO PLAY (with few exceptions).
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

I agree with Jozrael. Things happen in real life that are more important than wesnoth, and you can't expect everyone to spend his/her time giving you the satisfaction of an inevitable victory. Of course, explenation and apology are essential. If a person doesn't even take the 30 seconds required for an explenation, no matter the reasons for quitting, I would agree that they are immature.
Mica

Post by Mica »

I agree with Jozrael.

I may have worded it poorly, I don't think someone should leave after one unlucky turn, or whatever. ;)

Sir Ritalin

Post by Sir Ritalin »

I think we're not talking about concessions, but about unexplained departures. I daresay they're annoying in inverse proportion to the amount of play left in the game: if the other player has only two units left and they're surrounded away from the keep, and quit, there's little doubt that it's an acknowledgment of victory. :!: If they've got plenty of forces left, but lost three units on a turn or failed to cut down your mage, and quit, it's hard to know if they really knew they were beaten (because you don't even know for sure!) :?: At least you do have the satisfaction of playing it out against the AI. :?

(Full disclosure: I still lose to the AI. :oops: )
Faello

Post by Faello »

Jozrael wrote:I've quit for grandparents coming home I don't know how many times. My friends know it's a distinct possibility and are fine with it. I don't tell others cuz then I don't get to play =(.
That's the problem, you should tell others.
A Guy wrote:FAIL.

While dinner has never interrupted a game of mine, sometimes my parents want me to go to bed earlier than usual, and I can see how it is possible for someone to get interrupted because of dinner even if they planned.

Also, games sometimes go longer than expected, and "planning" to have your game finish before dinner is not foolproof... :roll:
I don't think your point is valid.

If you think that you may not have enough time to finish the game, don't join it or inform ppl before it's start that you may quit after some period of time.

Nobody said that quitting the game is generally bad, but putting people in situation when they're playing 1,5 hour or so with you, game didn't reach the conclusion and suddenly you're "sorry, need to go to bed, bye" or "I'm very tired, bye" is irritating - I accept quitting because of such reasons only if I'll get informed about it at the beginning of the game and I'm prepared for it, so I can find sub or smthng = I agree to play on such terms. If you're doing such thing, you should at least try to find a sub by yourself.

Moreover, dinner is not a impenetrable obstacle, couple times I had to stop playing because of the formal family dinner ( usually I just eat in front of cpu if I have to ), but in such situations, if I had ally, I just gave him control over my troops and told him that I'll come back and I always did.

When I played 1vs1 ( it was pretty long game against XMan iirc ), I asked for 20mins break and I came back to finish the game as I promised. Many other players do the same thing.

That's what respect for other people time is and that's why some players are defined as reliable and some are not.
Mica wrote: There's no problem with it, why be mad at someone if they're having no fun? I mean come on, that's like trying to force them to be bored.

But I do think you should say something first, and not do it too often.
Eh, I consider it a very childish point of view. If you're getting frustrated and you don't want to play anymore, just surrender - embrace your defeat. You'll get some points for style instead for losing them because of whining how bored, tired etc. you're.
yoki wrote:1. if you are not sure that you don't have time to play a game: don't play...
I agree with everything you wrote in this thread.
Mica wrote:You're taking this way too seriously, there's usually obs that'd be okay with filling in, local player, ai, whatever.

You're being way too strict, when people need to leave, it's really their business why, and it shouldn't matter if it's because they're getting bored or if it's because they're mom is dying in the other room.
Yes, it's their business, but it's my time I consider valuable and I'm not interested in playing with ppl that are wasting it.
Jozrael wrote:Mica's pretty much got the point here. If I have 50% of the units of the other player and it'll be 7 more turns before he can corner me, but that could take up 45 minutes, I think I'm entirely within my rights to concede the game and leave. I'm leaving because it would be boring to play it out and give the other player the satisfaction of killing every single one of my units. I -rarely- play an MP game til I see the 'victory' sign. Some people get bored faster than others; can you fault them?
We're not talking about people that surrender here :roll:
Sir Ritalin wrote:I think we're not talking about concessions, but about unexplained departures.
Exacly.

surrendering doesn't equal quitting, situation when you surrender is perfectly ok, because you're ending the game - you recognize your opponent as a winner and you agree that you were defeated. It's totally different situation .

We're talking here about people that try to evade defeat by giving excuses about being tired, bored - whatever - or they're leaving the game before certain conclusion, putting other players in uncomfortable position.

It's rude because game should end in 3 ways - as a tie ( if agreed ), as a victory or as a defeat. I'm perfectly ok with game ending in every of these ways but it frustrates me when other player tries to "force" no conclusion to the game by making excuses - and usually being bored is one of such excuses and it's impolite if it's going about players that play with you.

It's also impolite, when you're for example joining a 3vs3 game and after 7 turns, when game is still on, you say "it's going too slow" or "I'm bored".

In such cases, when 1 player leaves his 2 allies with a difficulty of managing 2 sides (I'm usually doing it if I have to but I'm not happy with it - and about 50% of players don't want to do it at all).

So the conclusion is:
- if you're bored by wesnoth, or you think there's is a possibility you may get bored during the game, don't play multiplayer game
- If you have something to do, don't play or inform other players about it before game begins
- you should try to fix every problem you've caused in the game
- If you need to go, propose to save&reload game in the next
1-2hours or next day
- stick to your word, be honest.
- If you cannot continue in the near future or don't want to - surrender.

Every other choice will leave bad smell after you.
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Sombra

Post by Sombra »

I share the frustration of the original poster. Its kind of frustrating, seems that people are not even able to read...

Try to host a game with extended era..write even in the thread title :you need the extended era... => bang 2 of 3 people drop out because they dont have the era installed.

To avoid bad games:

- Join the ladder
- Mark all ladder players as your friends.

From my exp. people who play in the ladder are playing quite well and are reliable.

2. join the development server

3. Kick anybody who writes : GOGOGO

4. Don´t join games with less than 60% exp. ...

5. Anybody who doesnt say at least "Hi" and reponds to the question "ready"...just kick them.

I would love a "blacklist" and an option to prevent people on my blacklist to join "my" games