Re: Swamplings - v1.1.7 - for 1.8 and 1.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Re: Swamplings - v0.9 - 15 of 16 scenarios completed

Post by Alarantalara »

boru wrote:
Elvish_Hunter wrote:The main problem is that I think that also terrains must be 72x72. Maybe it's time to file a Feature Request?
The mausoleum tiles are 72x72 with a transparent edge, so the actual image is smaller. So there does need to be a terrain layer underneath. I think there are ways for the game to handle this, I just need to spend the time to look over my examples and work it out. My first priority is finishing the final scenario ... it's mostly coded now, I'm adding the battle events and smoothing out the rough edges.
The code you need for the mausoleum is currently in trunk as a macro in image_utils.cfg. I've copied it here for you. You'll want to delete it for 1.9 of course and you may need to make a few changes to fit your copy of the images.

Code: Select all

#define ANIMATED_MAUSOLEUM X Y
    # Embed this at scenario toplevel, not within an event.
    # Note that it will freeze while dialogue popups are onscreen.
    [terrain_graphics]
        x={X}
        y={Y}
        [tile]
            x=0
            y=0
            set_flag=mausoleum
        [/tile]
    [/terrain_graphics]
    [terrain_graphics]
        map="
, *
* , *
, 1
* , *
, *"
        [tile]
            pos=1
            has_flag=mausoleum
        [/tile]
        [image]
            layer=0
            center=92,138
            # wmlscope: start ignoring
            # FIXME: More implicit-path breakage
            name="../scenery/mausoleum01.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum02.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum03.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum04.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum05.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum06.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum07.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum08.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum09.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum10.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum11.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum12.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum13.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum14.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum15.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum16.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum17.png:140,../scenery/mausoleum18.png:140"
            # wmlscope: stop ignoring
        [/image]
    [/terrain_graphics]
#enddef
boru

Re: Re: Swamplings - v0.9 - 15 of 16 scenarios completed

Post by boru »

Alarantalara, thanks very much!
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
boru

Post by boru »

Just noticed this:
Alarantalara wrote:

... which may be why I can't get it to work.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

boru wrote:Just noticed this:
Alarantalara wrote:

... which may be why I can't get it to work.
Yes, the file names need to match the format for 1.8.
To do this, drop the .png extension from every filepath, then make sure the filenames are otherwise correct and that you have specified the file path relative to your add-on's images/terrain directory.

This is why you should keep it as a macro so it is easy for you to replace it with the official one in the future.
boru

Post by boru »

Thanks for your expertise! It's working fine now.

Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I was reading your conversation about RIPLIB and couldn't help but comment.

The central idea behind RIPLIB is that leveling up should never force the unit to be worse at anything.
For example:
- "Oh no, I leveled up and now I have no choice but to be worse at attacking mudglobs."

Or:
- "Oh no, I leveled up and now I have no choice but to move slower."

So to avoid RIPLIB, every unit must be able to choose at least one advancement path that does not lose anything when compared to the original unit. It is, however, possible to change the damage type of the weapon and still do more damage against all enemies, as long as the damage amount is increased sufficiently to overcome differences from resistances.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
its_crunchtime

Post by its_crunchtime »

This is sooo the wrong place to post this... but I didn't want to make a new topic elsewhere because I think(and know) this is a really stupid question and I see from reading the posts here that you people are pretty knowledgeable.... so please don't flame me about why I posted this here :oops:

I was reading the "Create" section and building my campaign file when I got confused at where this and what I would find this..
Spoiler:
Where do I find this ifdef file/section?!
Thanks for not attacking me about this post...I know its stupid and only the fact that I took the time to type this is stopping me from deleting it now :oops:
What would you attempt to do if you could not fail?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

its_crunchtime wrote:I was reading the "Create" section and building my campaign file when I got confused at where this and what I would find this..
From now on, please post your WML questions in the WML Workshop: you'll have better chances to obtain answers in less time :) Apart from this, the #ifded #endif must be placed in your _main.cfg. To help you, I want to suggest you to download and check the two tutorial campaigns that we have: The Final Exam and A Simple Campaign. Both are on the 1.8 add-ons server; you may also want to take a look also to the mainline campaign Two Brothers, that is quite simple despite not being a WML tutorial campaign.
boru wrote:Greta the bosavi rat sprite. Some kind of variant in color or size to distinguish Greta from the other giant rats.
Just yesterday I bought a mouse trap and some cheese. Guess what I caught? A Bosavi! (or at least, I always imagined Greta to be brown. I don't know why :wink: )
bosavi.png
bosavi.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
To make this, I recoloured the Giant Rat sprites by picking the new colours from the Orcish sprites (it's their skin). I also made the eyes yellow, because red wasn't very visible on brown. Here there are all the frames. Do you like it?
bosavi2.zip
All the recoloured frames
(19.85 KiB) Downloaded 390 times
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
boru

Post by boru »

Elvish_hunter, these are great, thanks so much! The yellow eyes look great in the attack frames.

I ought to update that art request list, now that I've added a bunch of new units.

===

crunchtime: good luck w your campaign, and please ask in WML workshop next time. I usually get very quick replies there.

===

Sapient, I hope my reply will not sound like a flame, it's intented to be a spirited debate, nothing more. But honestly, everyone says UMC is supposed to be a kind of experimental lab where anything can be tried, yet there's this blind adherence to RIPWLIB as if it's a law of nature. Okay, if I leave out my [scenario] tags then my scenario won't work, but RIPWLIB is not like that, it's simply a design tool used in mainline to keep some consistency in their levelups.

To me, RIPWLIB is just ADA. Logically, when you level up, as a player you expect something better, and of course that expectation must be met. But there ought to be exceptions, for example when I want to introduce a really great new ability without making the unit ridiculously overpowered. Really great new abilities should trump RIPWLIB, and I'll be glad to make that an acronym: RGNASTRIPWLIB. Blind adherence to RIPWLIB guarantees incrementalism and encourages unimaginative, lackluster levelups. BATRIPWLIBGIAEULL.

In any case, I pledge my campaign will be 100% RIPWLIB compliant, but not until after mainline is 100% RIPWLIB compliant, which currently it is not.
- "Oh no, I leveled up and now I have no choice but to be worse at attacking mudglobs."
Or:
- "Oh no, I leveled up and now I have no choice but to move slower."
Okay, if you're a knight and you level up, you have the choice of Grand Knight or Paladin. Grand Knights move slower, in fact they are slower than the level 1 Horseman. A Paladin gets a slightly more powerful lance attack, and an extra sword attack for 20% more damage points, but the sword damage type changes to arcane. So, if your foe happens to be another Paladin, who has 60% arcane resistance, you'd be better off staying a Knight.

My point is not that mainline should always follow RIPWLIB, but that RIPWLIB is a handy tool which is sometimes useful, except when you want your Knight to level to a healing unit (Paladin) or a unit with monster HP and damage (Grand Knight).

Dixie

Post by Dixie »

boru wrote: Okay, if you're a knight and you level up, you have the choice of Grand Knight or Paladin. Grand Knights move slower, in fact they are slower than the level 1 Horseman. A Paladin gets a slightly more powerful lance attack, and an extra sword attack for 20% more damage points, but the sword damage type changes to arcane. So, if your foe happens to be another Paladin, who has 60% arcane resistance, you'd be better off staying a Knight.

My point is not that mainline should always follow RIPWLIB, but that RIPWLIB is a handy tool which is sometimes useful, except when you want your Knight to level to a healing unit (Paladin) or a unit with monster HP and damage (Grand Knight).
Well, the horseman doesn't have a sword attack at all, so your argument with the paladin's arcane attack kinda falls flat. Also, you left out the lancer, which could possibly considered the true RIPLIB level up of the horseman. As I understand it, not EVERY level up path must absolutely be RIPLIB: that would be silly, all advancements would either be all pretty similar, or some would be clearly overpowered. I think RIPLIB whould be mostly taken as "as long as at least one branch looses nothing and only improves what you previously had, it's good to go". Maybe I'm wrong though.
Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny - Frank Zappa
Current projects: Internet meme Era, The Settlers of Wesnoth
boru

Post by boru »

I was talking about the advancement of Knight to Paladin. I mentioned the level 1 unit. If you think that mentioning the level 1 unit makes my argument fall flat, you are welcome to believe that. And if a level 2 Lancer that can never advance to 3 is the ideal RIPWLIB, you are welcome to that too.

Wendek

Re: Re: Swamplings - v1.0 - 16 scenarios complete

Post by Wendek »

Hai! Tried your campaign. The objectives of the first scenario mention a certain "Eeep"... but I don't see him anywhere. Did I miss something or is it a bug? I still won the scenario without him but... still meh. Ah, sure thing is, he can't die if he's not here. :D
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
boru

Re: Swamplings - v1.0 - 16 scenarios complete

Post by boru »

Yeah, Eeep is a loyal unit. He's hiding nearby with a wolf or two (the wolves may also be loyal depending on what difficulty level you're playing). It doesn't really matter if you don't find Eeep, he shows up later anyway. You might want to go look for the wolves, but it's no big deal.

I'll set the objectives so they update if you find Eeep. I thought he'd be easy to find, but maybe not.

Wendek

Re: Re: Swamplings - v1.0 - 16 scenarios complete

Post by Wendek »

Oh I see, I've found him. Having him and the two wolves -playing on normal- will surely help fighting.

He's indeed easy to find if you look for him, but I have an annoying trend to think something is bugged when I don't see a character named in the objectives or something like that. Sometimes it's indeed a bug, but sometimes not and then I look a bit stupid. :p Anyway nvm, playin' the campaign right now. :)
"You see, it's not about what you take with you, it's about what you leave behind." (Turisas, The Bosphorus Freezes Over)
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." (Andrew Ryan, BioShock)
boru

Re: Swamplings - v1.0 - 16 scenarios complete

Post by boru »

I'm glad you spoke up about it, I went in and fixed it so there won't be an objective to protect Eeep until after you've met him. :) Thanks.