Newbie Questions about getting started

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
magpie

Newbie Questions about getting started

Post by magpie »

Don't know if this is the correct folder to put this question in or not, but here goes: I just downloaded this game- thought it looked interesting and wanted to give it a shot. I am playing it on Mac OSX. I have some dumb questions:

1. My mouse does not have either right, left or center clicks. Just one click, right down the center. Yet there is nowhere in the preferences where I can change the shortcut commands for the "select/move unit", etc. commands. How do I get around this?

2. In the tutorial (tutorials are a lovely thing, by the way- very helpful) I get as far as recruiting my army (and, by the way, you need to change the text to let people like me know they can ctrl-r to recruit rather than just right click) but I have NO IDEA what to do next and there are no prompts to tell me. Do I end my turn somehow? Do I take my army and move it? I tried doing the latter and was able to move Konrad but couldn't get any of my other units to move out of the castle.

These are really, really basic questions (I mean- I'm stuck in the tutorial, for cryin' out loud!). Since I've not been able to find any other posts with these questions, I can only assume that I am either the only person in the whole world who had these problems or the other folks who did have these problems just gave up in frustration without pursuing answers.

Oh, one other suggestion: your manual needs some basic info on the actual steps for playing. i.e.: "a turn consists of -----", "you take your turn by -----", "your turn ends after -----", etc. The info that you have in the manual is useful for someone who already knows the basic mechanics of the game but wants further or broader info.

Thanks,
Magpie
Circon

Post by Circon »

The really basic tutorial: (should be a new level)

"Click on the little Konrad once to select him. Then click on the brown square to move there."
event=unit
unit=Target
"Click on Konrad to select him again. Then click on the target to attack it." (target has 4 hp and 100% chance to be hit).
"You've just had your first battle! Now, press the End Turn button at the lower right, or right-click and select End Turn, to end your turn."
"Now that it's your second turn, Konrad can move again!"

Sound good?
magpie

Okay. . .

Post by magpie »

So my "target" is. . . the mage all the way down in the lower right corner? And you're indicating that I only move Konrad and not the other units that I recruited? (I said in my original question that I was able to move Konrad but NOT my recruits).

I actually did attempt to move Konrad all the way down to the mage's camp in the lower corner but K only moved about 10 hexes and then wouldn't go any further.

And, frankly, once I've completed the action indicated (i.e.: recruited my army), there should be another prompt to tell me what to do next. That's what tutorials are supposed to do.

Sorry-- I'm still confused.

-Magpie
Circon

Post by Circon »

No, sorry, that was my proposal for a new tutorial level, a really simple one.

For you:
Now that you've recruited and whatnot, find the "END TURN" option. In CVS, its at the lower right. Otherwise, rightclick somewhere and select it.
Then, all units will have their movement allottance refilled. Move Konrad back to the start point (different colored castle tile), move the units towards Delfador, and recruit some more.
Units have movement left when there is a Green or Yellow orb above their life bar.
When it is Red, they cannot move any further that turn.
When all untis are Red, use End Turn to let your enemies take their turn and then your units can move again.
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

Glad you are trying Magpie :-)

On the Mac, use Apple (Command)-click to simulate a right click. This should bring up the sub-menu with useful options.

Another thing I need to put into the readme..