How do I import mainline campaign units to my campaign?

The place to post your WML questions and answers.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
  • Please use [code] BBCode tags in your posts for embedding WML snippets.
  • To keep your code readable so that others can easily help you, make sure to indent it following our conventions.
tactics123

How do I import mainline campaign units to my campaign?

Post by tactics123 »

I'm interested in importing HttT and UtBS units into my campaign. How do I do just that without copying the whole folder?
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Re: How do I import mainline campaign units to my campaign?

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Short answer: You don't.

Longer answer: If you want to use units from a mainline campaign, copy everything they need into your add-on's folder. That's the images (obviously), the unit definition files, custom races or movetypes if applicable, and any macros they use for abilities, animations, or the like.

Rationale: If you try to reference files in a mainline campaign from your add-on, there is no guarantee that your add-on will even load on another computer. Wesnoth supports running with the mainline campaigns not installed at all, so those files may or may not exist. (In practice, barring strange circumstances, they will always exist on Windows and Mac installs. Linux installs are more varied – sometimes they are included and sometimes not.)
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

As a bit more background: some Linux distros prefer to package each campaign separately (ie: scroll down through https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... snoth-1.16). Normally they'll all get installed anyway, but it's not 100% guaranteed depending on how the user does the installation. Whether you care about supporting that edge case on Linux is up to you.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
egallager

Post by egallager »

tactics123

Post by tactics123 »

Short answer: You don't.

Longer answer: If you want to use units from a mainline campaign, copy everything they need into your add-on's folder. That's the images (obviously), the unit definition files, custom races or movetypes if applicable, and any macros they use for abilities, animations, or the like.

Rationale: If you try to reference files in a mainline campaign from your add-on, there is no guarantee that your add-on will even load on another computer. Wesnoth supports running with the mainline campaigns not installed at all, so those files may or may not exist. (In practice, barring strange circumstances, they will always exist on Windows and Mac installs. Linux installs are more varied – sometimes they are included and sometimes not.)
As a bit more background: some Linux distros prefer to package each campaign separately (ie: scroll down through https://packages.debian.org/search?suit ... snoth-1.16). Normally they'll all get installed anyway, but it's not 100% guaranteed depending on how the user does the installation. Whether you care about supporting that edge case on Linux is up to you.
Wow! Thanks for the heads up.
So the answer is to copy if you want the best support. Understood.
Thanks for the code reference! This helps alot for a newbie in WML like me.