3rd Army campaign ready for playtest

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

malthaussen

3rd Army campaign ready for playtest

Post by malthaussen »

I've decided to open the campaign I'm working on, "3rd Army," for players to test. Currently has 4 scenarios (more intended), Human v Orc battles. Each scenario is simulating a different kind of military operation.

Scenario 1, "First Contact," is a meeting engagement on a pretty big map (100X100). The Humans want to take a bridgehead and move into a province from which news has suddenly been cut off. By intent, the first 15 turns (basically) will be moving the Human forces forward as they are recruited until they contact the Orcs at the bridgehead. That's 15 turns for mounted units, infantry will take a bit longer to get there. The Humans have two commanders, one should stay behind while the other leads the forces to the bridgehead, where he will be able to recruit infantry and other unmounted units. Time is really not a factor, as the Humans should have plenty of turns left to defeat the Orcs and win the scenario. But there are a lot of villages spread around the map; one of the command decisions you will have to make is how many units to send out occupying villages, and how many you will use for the advance force which needs to get to the bridgehead ASAP.

Scenario 2 picks up where #1 left off. This scenario and the next are on relatively small maps. In #2, "On From Branston," you must first defeat an Orcish force occupying a city in the middle of the map, then push on to again kill the Big Bad Boss and occupy his base. Defeating the initial Orc force is not too difficult, but reinforcements are on the way...

Scenario 3, "Into the Valley" is somewhat similar, but the map is smaller and the Orcs more plentiful. You will have to scramble a bit to survive the Orc's spoiling attack before you can reorganize and push on to the main objective.

Scenario 4, "The Battle of Dearing," is intended as a crescendo for this set of scenarios. The map is large (80X120), and intensely cultivated with a lot of villages (I won't spoil it by saying how many). You can expect to eventually deal with 100+ enemy units, but hey, you should have some promoted Knights (or even a Paladin) to help with that. There are several Citadels along the way from which you can recruit more units, which you will probably need depending on how many units you have available to Recall. There is also an ally you can pick up along the way if you move to the right place.

Money is not intended to be an issue in any of these scenarios. Human resources are relatively generous, and you should be able to finish the task with enough turns in hand to carry over a fair sum to purchase units for the next. I'd estimate that the cycle is relatively easy, although I haven't played on the higher difficulties (full disclosure, I suck at this game. :) ) The intent is for the player to have an entertaining time slaughtering orcs, with maybe a few nail-biting moments in the mix.

The campaign is in fairly rough form at present, with only a little custom art and no music (except for the bugle call that opens the first scenario). I'm not as yet familiar with all the Wesnoth music available, so have not yet decided what music will be included. Similarly, I have not made artwork yet for the two Human commanders, who are at present simply generic Dragoons. This will probably change once I figure out how to do it.

Comments and criticism are welcomed (well, as long as they're constructive and use few four-letter words). Personally, I think the campaign is shaping up to be fun, but your mileage may vary.

-- Mal
"Of two choices, I always take the third."