Internationalization

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lysander

The day/night cycle

Post by Lysander »

The manual says day and night goes like this:

Code: Select all

|  turn | day-phase
 -----------------------
 |   1   |    dawn 
 |   2   |    day
 |   3   |    day
 |   4   |    dusk
 |   5   |    night
 |   6   |    night
while the scenarios contain things like this:
{DAWN}
{MORNING}
{AFTERNOON}
{DUSK}
{FIRST_WATCH}
{SECOND_WATCH}
Has there been any radical changes to the cycle which isn't covered in the manual? And why isn't the manual included in the windows distribution?
--Lysander--
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The manual and game match up.

"Morning" and "Afternoon" are both day. The only difference between them is that the sun is shown further west in the sky at Afternoon, to show that it is closer to dusk.

Ditto for "Firth Watch" and "Second Watch".

Uhh...I will look at correcting the MANUAL file being shipped with the Windows version of the game.
Lysander

MANUAL file

Post by Lysander »

There is no MANUAL file included in the windows distro (win-0.6.exe), I insist. It only ships with the source package. I went looking for it when I intended to translate into Norwegian. Thats the reason why I asked about the day/night cycle anyway.
--Lysander--
skovbaer

Re: Norwegian translation

Post by skovbaer »

Lysander wrote:I have a Norwegian translation in progress (manual done, norwegian.cfg ~40% done), and wonders if there is anybody else here interested in helping/proofreading/editing? Fluency in Norwegian a definitive plus. Maybe Circon is interested? Anyway, I'll send it to skovbaer when it's done. Anything I need to know about translation/internationalization?
Nice :) If you already have the manual done, then you could start out by emailing me that one... We luv work-in-progress ;)
- dk_skovbaer -
Circon

Post by Circon »

lol... I missed page 8 and didn't see my name until it got quoted. Yes, I'm willing to help/proofred/whatever. I'll probably do better at that than the bug-riddled Undead Teaser Campaign.
(I forgot the enemy settings...)
Lysander

Newlines

Post by Lysander »

Why does the sample_translation.cfg included with the last windows release use both \r\n and \n to represent newlines? (I discorvered this when my editor (textpad) said format: unknown instead of the usual PC or UNIX)

What is the preferred way of representing newlines in submitted files? Does it matter at all? Some really simple editors (read: notepad) does not render newlines other than \r\n.
--Lysander--
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Newlines

Post by Dave »

Lysander wrote:Why does the sample_translation.cfg included with the last windows release use both \r\n and \n to represent newlines? (I discorvered this when my editor (textpad) said format: unknown instead of the usual PC or UNIX)

What is the preferred way of representing newlines in submitted files? Does it matter at all? Some really simple editors (read: notepad) does not render newlines other than \r\n.
The preferred way is \n (Unix-style) we will become more thorough in running dos2unix over all data files before releasing in the future.

David
Lysander

Hardcoded strings

Post by Lysander »

In the "Create Game Dialog", the strings "Turns" and "Village gold" aren't properly internationalized. They appear to be hardcoded in multiplayer.cfg on line 320 and 332.
--Lysander--
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Hardcoded strings

Post by Dave »

Lysander wrote:In the "Create Game Dialog", the strings "Turns" and "Village gold" aren't properly internationalized. They appear to be hardcoded in multiplayer.cfg on line 320 and 332.
Thanks for the report. I have fixed this problem and committed changes to CVS.
Khiraly

Re: Hardcoded strings

Post by Khiraly »

Lysander wrote:In the "Create Game Dialog", the strings "Turns" and "Village gold" aren't properly internationalized. They appear to be hardcoded in multiplayer.cfg on line 320 and 332.
The same case for the words:
loyal, quick, intelligent, resilient

(in the recent CVS version)
kilder
Translator

Post by kilder »

hi, i saw this game a few time ago and i wanted to help, but i don't know anything about coding or art, but i offer to translate the game to latin (it will be nice for mi exams, it looks like is going to be difficult ) and help with the spanish version, if needed.

however, i'll need help to extract the language file because i don't know how to do it... in fact, i don't know nothing :oops: . i'm using MacOs X, and as soon i know how to extract it, i'll get to work

nice work, keep it up :D
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

and help with the spanish version
A latin translation sounds cool, though the spanish translation is more important IMHO.
however, i'll need help to extract the language file because i don't know how to do it... in fact, i don't know nothing . i'm using MacOs X, and as soon i know how to extract it, i'll get to work
You can ask Sithrandel (MacOSX package mantainer) about "merge_translations", the tool that you'll need in order to translate Wesnoth.
If you can't use "merge_translations", I can send you the latest spanish.cfg, ready to be translated.

You can also join #wesnoth at irc.freenode.net to contact with the spanish translators (fmunoz and me), and read WesnothTranslations (wiki).

Note: The Spanish Translation needs you ;)
KK_r

Post by KK_r »

Capitol is taking a rest so I'm gonna look over the swedish translation, I won't be the moderator so that is still a vacant job, just going to read through it once cause capitol has done a lot.

I'm wondering, Aundin, that a river right? If not, what is it?