Some bugs

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
miyo

Post by miyo »

Just fixed them in CVS.

- Miyo
Lysander

A couple of issues

Post by Lysander »

When I play a multiplayer game against the computer, have less than 100 gold, save and then reload, the gold is set to 100.

Another thing with loading and saving is that when saving a previously loaded game, the turn nuber is just appended, not replaced. So I save "Across the River Turn 1", then load it, and when trying to save next round, it suggests the save name "Across the River Turn 1 Turn 2". I usually just press enter without reading the name closely, so after some rounds my savegames get really long and confusing names. This is really not a bug per se, but it is a bit irksome to edit the name every time I save.
--Lysander--
miyo

Post by miyo »

100 gold bug should be fixed in CVS... what version are you running?

- Miyo
Lysander

100 gold bug

Post by Lysander »

I'm running 12 jan 04 win snapshot.
--Lysander--
miyo

Post by miyo »

I think 100 gold bug was fixed after 12th of January.

[edit]
Checked CVS logs and indeed it was fixed 13th of January. Yes, I know that logs do not state so but I was involved in noticing and fixing the bug and I am checking against other fixes that were done at the same hour).
[/edit]

- Miyo
Lysander

Reset gold on load in multiplayer

Post by Lysander »

If it is fixed, why was it submitted as a bug at Savannah 21. jan?

http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=d ... em_id=7366
--Lysander--
Lysander

Newlines in source code

Post by Lysander »

The source code uses both \r and \r\n to represent newlines, even in the same file!
Se at the end of submitted bug (not by me):
http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?func=d ... em_id=7389

This is annoying when I'm using nedit to view the *.cpp files, as some newlines show up as <CR>. Many editors only looks at the first newline in the text to decide what scheme is being used (win, unix or mac), and thus cannot cope with a mixture of newlines and carriage returns.
--Lysander--
miyo

Re: Newlines in source code

Post by miyo »

Lysander wrote:If it is fixed, why was it submitted as a bug at Savannah 21. jan?
We found out that it was only partially fixed:

start multiplayer game -> use your gold -> save -> quit multiplayer game -> load game -> works just fine

start multiplayer game -> use your gold -> save -> quit wesnoth -> load game -> 100 gold bug
Lysander wrote:The source code uses both \r and \r\n to represent newlines, even in the same file!

This is annoying when I'm using nedit to view the *.cpp files, as some newlines show up as <CR>. Many editors only looks at the first newline in the text to decide what scheme is being used (win, unix or mac), and thus cannot cope with a mixture of newlines and carriage returns.
Dave is developing on u$win until he can get new computer where he can run GNU/Linux (computer he currently uses is not his). Good text editors can handle mixed newlines.

Before release (at least v1.0) we will dos2unix the files. At the moment if you fix them... they come back (nothing stops you running dos2unix to files by yourself).

- Miyo
Lysander

Removing carriage returns

Post by Lysander »

Unfortunately dos2unix did not ship with 8.1 Slackware, so ran this shell script instead, it got the job done.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
dir="$HOME/wesnoth/src/"
cd $dir
for f in *.?pp; do
  cp $f $f.tmp
  tr -d '\r' < $f.tmp > $f
  rm $f.tmp
done
--Lysander--
Lysander

More playtesting

Post by Lysander »

I've played Wesnoth extensively the last two-three days, and just submitted some bugs I found to the bugtrack list on savannah. There is a couple of things I have noticed about the AI, which probably doesn't count as bug, but are worth mentioning.

I. Tha AI doesn't use Thieves effectively, i.e it doesn't take advantage of their backstab ability. Sometimes it attacks from the opposite side of an enemy _after_ attacking with the thief! Specifically, it doesn't know how to use thieves in pairs, which I have found to be extremely efficient (especially at night). Apropos, does the backstab bonus apply when a thief is defending?

II. Trolls only heal 8 HP when they are placed in villages, not 16 as I expected. This may be a feature, but perhaps it should be stated in the description if it is so. (When I think about it, a Troll Warrior holding a village would be quite an adversary...)

III. Does the AI use units with the 'leadership' ability to enhance the fighting skills of other units? It certainly does not seem to be the case.

IV. The new feature of Tooltips when you move the mouse over an ability, trait etc. is cool.
The stats for 'strong' seem to lack the +1 bonus for close combat, and there is nothing for 'loyal'. I found that if I added [traitname]_description="..." to the translation file, the description is included before the stats. (But 'loyal' repeats it twice!)

@Norwegians: The Norwegian translation is almost done, lacking only scenarios 12 and 13
(I'll leave the Undead stuff for Circon). I'll post it in a new thread as soon as it is finished.
--Lysander--
miyo

Re: More playtesting

Post by miyo »

Lysander wrote:Apropos, does the backstab bonus apply when a thief is defending?
Backstab works only when you attack from "behind" - if you get attacked the enemies don't leave their back at you.
Lysander wrote:II. Trolls only heal 8 HP when they are placed in villages, not 16 as I expected. This may be a feature, but perhaps it should be stated in the description if it is so. (When I think about it, a Troll Warrior holding a village would be quite an adversary...)
Maximum healing is 8. You are free to enhance the manual - http://wiki.wesnoth.org -> WesnothManual

- Miyo
Lysander

Wiki manual

Post by Lysander »

I have now updated the manual, and clearly stated that 8HP is max amount of healing.
--Lysander--
turn123

Post by turn123 »

Backstab works only when you attack from "behind"
Does this mean I need to worry about which direction the unit I'm attacking is faceing?
miyo

Post by miyo »

turn123 wrote:Does this mean I need to worry about which direction the unit I'm attacking is faceing?
Yes. First attack target with non-thief from some side, then attack target with thief from opposite side - backstab bonus.

- Miyo
Lysander

Backstab

Post by Lysander »

miyo wrote:
turn123 wrote:Does this mean I need to worry about which direction the unit I'm attacking is faceing?
Yes. First attack target with non-thief from some side, then attack target with thief from opposite side - backstab bonus.

- Miyo
You don't have to attack with another unit to get the backstab bonus, just move any unit to the opposite side of your enemy, then attack with the thief. If the thief doesn't kill the enemy, maybe the other unit can finish it off. This can be a very useful tactic, especially if the other unit has a secondary target to attack if the thief makes a kill. A good tactic is to use thieves in pairs, and attack enemy units from both sides with the two thieves. Both of them will get to use 'Backstab'. Also, thieves are cheap (12 gold) and level up easily (28 exp needed). Someone ought to write this in the Wiki -> GettingStarted (or maybe start a new topic, AdvancedTactics?).
--Lysander--