Wesnoth 0.7.7 released

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

miyo

Wesnoth 0.7.7 released

Post by miyo »

Elen síla lúmenn' omentielvo.

New scenarios: 'Son of the Black Eye - Saving Inarix' and 'The Dark Hordes - A New Chance'. 'Wesbowl' and 'King of the Hill' multiplayer scenarios. Lizardman renamed to Saurian and their regeneration replaced with skirmish. New units: Elvish Rider, Saurian Warrior, Necrophage. User interface improvements: in-game label and unit name search, continuing interrupted move, end of turn sanity check, experience gauge (meld with hitpoint bar). Multiplayer improvements: shared vision, less forest and fairer village placement on random maps. AI improvements: fighting with leader, using any keep for recruiting, sharing keep with allies (making room for ally leader to recruit). Editor improvements: map resizing, revert from disk, preferences dialog. French and Spanish translations were updated. Support for multi-hex tiles, WML files changed to UTF-8, data file caching to speed game loading. Graphics improvements, scenario and unit balancing. Bug fixes - see all details at http://changelog.wesnoth.org

Contribute and enhance GettingStarted and AdvancedTactics in our Wiki, these can be reached thru http://wiki.wesnoth.org

Source tarball, md5sum and u$win binary can be found here:

http://www.wesnoth.org/files/wesnoth-0.7.7.tar.gz
http://www.wesnoth.org/files/wesnoth-0.7.7.tar.gz.md5
http://www.wesnoth.org/files/win-0.7.7.exe

wesnoth-lite should be fully working Wesnoth, it just lacks music and story images (making it smaller and therefore faster to download):

http://www.wesnoth.org/files/wesnoth-lite-0.7.7.tar.gz
http://www.wesnoth.org/files/wesnoth-li ... tar.gz.md5

devsrv.wesnoth.org is running 0.7.7 and can be used for multiplayer games.

Instructions for bug reporting can be found - http://wesnoth.slack.it/?ReportingBugs

Debian GNU/Linux, Mac OS X and BeOS packagers have been informed.

Namárië,

- Miyo
Integral

Post by Integral »

Is there any way to disable the XP-in-HP "feature"? I can't estimate how many HP a lot of units have without mousing over them in this release...

Daniel
cipso

You guys rock!

Post by cipso »

You guys rock.

Each dev release comes with tons of new features. I love wesnoth. :oops:

-cipso
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I've been away from the project for a while (or at least lurking more and contributing less. Lotta real life gettin' in the way of my fun time, but since I subscribed to wesnoth on freshmeat I got reminded of this wonderful game! The changelog looks huge! I can't wait to play! In the meantime while it compiles I'm trying to convert another friend of mine into a mortal enemey in the land of wesnoth!

Props to those who can find the time (or make the time) to contribute to such a great game. Especially Dave who puts his all into this project of his, and Miyo who keeps everything smooth as butter! You guys rock! And props to the cadre of new graphic artist who keep making wesnoth more and more beautiful! I am convinced that the most impressive thing about this project is the community that has grown around it.

And thanks to.... wait.. compiles done... gotta go =)
miyo

Post by miyo »

Woodwizzle wrote:I've been away from the project for a while (or at least lurking more and contributing less. Lotta real life gettin' in the way of my fun time, but since I subscribed to wesnoth on freshmeat I got reminded of this wonderful game! The changelog looks huge!
Nice to have you "back" - maybe you could again provide smoother borders for fog and shroud (your previous ones got removed when we changed from 70x70 to 72x72) *grin*

- Miyo
Michael

Post by Michael »

Ooh, rebalancing for The Bay of Pearls! *smirk* I'll start the campaign over and see if I have an easier time with this scenario. I've posted a short note about the release of 0.7.7 to the Usenet group comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic.
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

miyo wrote: Nice to have you "back" - maybe you could again provide smoother borders for fog and shroud (your previous ones got removed when we changed from 70x70 to 72x72) *grin*

- Miyo
They're Gone!!! I take it all back you selfish and ungrateful jerks!
Last edited by Woodwizzle on May 20th, 2004, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Michael wrote:I've posted a short note about the release of 0.7.7 to the Usenet group comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic.
Thanks for doing this. We appreciate people spreading word of the game.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Michael

Post by Michael »

Glad to contribute in a very small way. :) The above mentioned newsgroup is currently pretty much on a Dominions 2 trip, but seeing how few new turn-based fantasy strategy games there are, there should be some folks that are glad for fresh food.

By the way, how was Bay of Pearls rebalanced? I believe the AI had more level two units before, but I may be mistaken. It seemed easier than yesterday, though I restarted the campaign and played a bit "smarter", thanks to the tips that were given in the strategy section. (No, it wasn't too easy! *grin*)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Michael wrote: By the way, how was Bay of Pearls rebalanced? I believe the AI had more level two units before, but I may be mistaken.
I think just minor tweaks, nothing that'd be very noticeable; other scenarios were changed more.
Michael wrote: It seemed easier than yesterday, though I restarted the campaign and played a bit "smarter", thanks to the tips that were given in the strategy section.
I think this is probably more the reason you found it easier ;)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

I've found a "bug" in version 0.7.6 (well, the binary is called win0.7.6fixed):
When you move a unit through an aura of light of a mage, the game becomes terribly slow, also leadership affects the speed of the game, although not as much as that aura.
I had a previous version of Wesnoth and auras didn't slow the game.
And it's not a problem of my computer, I had age of empires and some other games like that and they ran smoothly.

Ok, perhaps it's not a bug, but it's quite inneficient

Hope you'll arrange it :wink:
miyo

Post by miyo »

SteelP,

have you checked if that still happens with 0.7.7

- Miyo
SteelP

Post by SteelP »

Excuse me, I downloaded 2 days ago the version 0.7.6, and downloading once more those 20mbs... :?
I said that because if no change was made to auras code, the problem would still be there

If it's already arranged, sorry
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

OK... the MacOSX version 0.7.7 is now available at:

http://www.wesnoth.org/files/Wesnoth_MacOSX_0.7.7.dmg

This includes changes to drag-and-drop campaign installation (including clearing the game.cfg cache) so drag-and-drop should wrok better now.

Also included is the Mac Campaign Editor v0.6, changes include interface guidance for some areas and traits on the Characters tab now work. Tweaks to the export have also been made. I have tested the drag-and-drop of an exported campaign with the game version 0.7.7 and this works fine so start creating some simple campaigns with it :)

Most important... could 10.2.8 users double check this just so I can confirm it works, before updating VersionTracker. It should, but I'd like to be sure :)

On a sidenote, I noticed that someone had updated VersionTracker today. This isn't too good as it means there will be close releases, but more importantly the info was not correct. The version linked was 10.3.3 only, but the page stated 10.2 and it also referenced the Map Editor which is not in the bundle for the Mac (I haven't managed to get it to compile yet, but then the game is no.1 priority). So... no problems with others updating anything, but please double check the info when going outside the thrill seekers Wesnoth community :D
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Excellent. That was quick, Sithrandel.

Unfortunately, the .dmg fails to mount - something about "no mountable systems". Are you sure you packaged it up properly?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry