What activities do you do when bored?

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cookie

What activities do you do when bored?

Post by cookie »

Greetings!
I find myself in the situation where most things bore me. After quitting several of my previous commitments, I find myself with hours and hours of free time and I have no idea what to do. Its quite a dilemma. I'm thinking this is what most people who take a break from things come across.
Well I wanted to see what other people do other than social sites and perhaps I might try those things. Here are also some questions! :)

Are you currently bored?
What do you do with your free time?
How do you not get bored?
What are your hobbies?
What do you do with most your time other than school, work or parenting?
How long do you play wesnoth daily and what would you do without wesnoth? :lol2:

Look forward to hearing your responses.
Cookie
<insert cookie signature with squiggly lines>
Bye says the cookie.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: What activities do you do when bored?

Post by Velensk »

Are you currently bored?
What do you do with your free time?
How do you not get bored?
What are your hobbies?
What do you do with most your time other than school, work or parenting?
How long do you play wesnoth daily and what would you do without wesnoth?
'

-No.
-Play stratagy games, make wesnoth content, read, write, work out, discuss the afored (aside from working out, not a lot to say about that) with whomever will listen.
-I seem to just get more resistant to it as time goes on, or maybe I'm just getting better at keeping busy.
-I think I essentially already answered this one with the 'What do you do with your free time' question.
-I suspect that reading/playing stratagy games (especially if you count time spent making content) takes up a lion share of my free time.
-Variable, especially if you factor in making Wesnoth content. Without Wesnoth I'd probably just spend more time with other games. I might use more of my creative energy for writing or attempting to make a game of my own.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Moderator Emeritus

Post by 8680 »

([section]ed for length)
cookie wrote:Are you currently bored?
No.
cookie wrote:What do you do with your free time?
Answer questions in the WML Workshop, play forum games on Dragonchampion's forum, play around with Lua, rather lazily study the Bash documentation, archive binge on webcomics.
cookie wrote:How do you not get bored?
See above.
cookie wrote:What are your hobbies?
See above.
cookie wrote:What do you do with most your time other than school, work or parenting?
See above. Are all these questions really necessary?
cookie wrote:How long do you play wesnoth daily ...
Uh... maybe a few hours a month.
cookie wrote:... and what would you do without wesnoth?
I don't know.
Joram

Post by Joram »

When I was younger, my parents did not allow me and my siblings to be bored. If we complained that we were, we were told that that was our fault.

Now that I'm older, I actually think that it's true. There is so much that one could do. You could read a book; or if you don't have any, you could try writing one! Or at least designing a world, story idea, and characters, particularly if you have someone else who'll talk the matter over and throw ideas back and forth (much easier and more fun than trying to do the part that actually involves work). You could pick up a programming language to doodle around with. You could poke around online researching potentially interesting hobbies. You could just go jogging for a few miles or work out. I could clean my house (you may not have this useful source of interest :P ). You could teach yourself advanced mathematics or physics in your spare time. You could research the current heap of slop that is modern politics. You could learn about the differences between Austrian and Keynesian economics. You could research conspiracy theories (very fun to suspend your disbelief for a little while and go digging; and the summing up of evidence at the end is even more satisfying). You could take up Military History; become an expert on WWII history, or English history, or ancient Rome!

This world is a wonderful, beautiful place; don't waste any of your valuable time down here being bored!

If you're interested, everything in the above paragraph is something that I'd like to do. Haven't managed half of them yet though. I guess I'd better go get to work. :D
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Hulavuta

Post by Hulavuta »

The kids, work and school take up all my time.
F:tGJ, Saurian Campaign
The Southern Chains, a fanfic
“The difference between winners and champions is that champions are more consistent."
~Sierra
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

When I'm bored either either
a) Play a game on my laptop or x-box if I'm at home, or read if I have a new book
b) Daydream (used to get me in trouble in school a lot :doh: )
c) Browse the League of Legends/Wesnoth forums or work on the WML of a scenario/add-on.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
johndh

Post by johndh »

No, I am not currently bored.
In my free time, I read (online articles, not books), ride my bike, work out, cook, make digital art, play games, mod games, talk to friends, and I guess that sums up most of it.
I avoid getting bored by always having something to do. Try making a list of things you like to do, or would like to try, so if you get bored with one, you can just drop it for now and try something else.
My hobbies are the same as the free times question, I suppose.
I just graduated, so I've got no school eating up my time, but I'm currently looking for a job. While job hunting takes up a fair bit of time, I still have a lot of time unspoken for, which is spent with the above-mentioned things.
I actually play Wesnoth only occasionally. I just don't have the attention span to stick with a campaign for long, and thus I'm a little out of practice for multiplayer. So I guess things wouldn't be that much different for me without Wesnoth, except I would have no memory of the truly awesome narrative that was UtBS and I would know a lot less about pixel art. Plus, I've gotten an idea or two from Wesnoth when it comes to my own projects... so okay, maybe things would be a little different.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
cookie

Post by cookie »

8680 wrote:See above. Are all these questions really necessary?
No, just are just some guidelines. You don't have to follow them for the post ^^
Joram wrote:You could read a book; or if you don't have any, you could try writing one!... You could pick up a programming language to doodle around with... You could poke around online researching potentially interesting hobbies. You could just go jogging for a few miles or work out... You could teach yourself advanced mathematics or physics in your spare time... You could research the current heap of slop that is modern politics... You could learn about the differences between Austrian and Keynesian economics... You could research conspiracy theories... You could take up Military History; become an expert on WWII history, or English history, or ancient Rome!
Thanks for the ideas, I have read every book that I am interested in.
Writing one... Thats on my list since forever. Never got round to it.
Picked up programming for a week. Tried and failed. I think at that time, my Sensei and I didn't have much time. So I barely learnt much.
I already go gym with friends, but i wouldnt have the guts to go alone or jogg outside.
Maths and related stuffs.... We just don't get along. I was always the english type of person.
JUILA GUILARD! I think that speaks for itself.
Nahhh, just no!
Conspiracy theories. I did that last year. Illuminati, 3 masons. XD was extremely fun. You how Rihanna has a devil in her umbrella music video. xD
I love history too but not to the point I would like to become an expert. I do have basic knowledge in those areas though.

Thanks for giving me some ideas!
johndh wrote: I just graduated, so I've got no school eating up my time, but I'm currently looking for a job.
I guess I might ask for more shifts at work and become a workaholic. :L

For the majority that include gaming. I pretty much quit all my games though I might start playing final fantasy. Always wanted to. Anyone else played?

I hope there could be more suggestions. I love to hear from others! :3
Bye says the cookie.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I have read every book that I am interested in.
Dangerous assumption to make. The sheer volume of things out there (both fiction and non-fiction) that could interest anyone is staggering. If you are referring to simply books you have access to then remember the sheer amount of resources that are online. There are a few free online libraries that are quite extensive, information on about any topic, even sites dedicated to meta-fiction (such as TV tropes, you can learn a surprising amount there). I would encourage anyone to just keep trying new materials. You may slog through a ton that you are not truly interested in but you will find stuff eventually if you look hard enough.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
cookie

Post by cookie »

Well thats the thing. Its the books I'm interested in. Books that are quite recent and girly. Books like Torment series, Airhead series, the luxe series, Vampire academy series, twilight series, harry potter series. and so on.
And I could find more books that i would be interested in but so far those books and others are what I was interested in
Bye says the cookie.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

So in other words, you are not saying that you've read all the books you are interested in, you are saying that you've read all the books that you know you're interested in because you already read them.

You can find more and doing so will both eat up quite a bit of time and give you something to spend your time on.

I'll mention TV tropes again as it is a decent way to find new things to try.

For what it's worth, there are plenty of older series that are very good it's just that they don't get a lot of attention because they are already finished and the people who know about them have already finished them (or tried them).
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

-
Last edited by Neuromancer on December 11th, 2013, 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cookie

Post by cookie »

Neuromancer wrote:
btw thanks for inspiring me to kill some time :) Im going to do some real work now.
Not a problem :)
I have some things I would like to do but still underage. Currently on my list is:
- I saw these senors from my high school rock up to school in a sport car. They looked so awesome and I was pretty envious because I had to walk that day. So I immediately want to do the same... Reality check, Need a license ( 2 years ), Need the car ( 3 years), Got the job.
- Write a book.
- Explore Australia. Explore the World.
- Move out as soon as possible. :annoyed:
As you see. Its pretty much a list in the making. xD

Truth be told, you're list seems way better. I'd probably steal some ideas. As the for inspirational quotes, my room currently is filled with those quotes on one of the walls. It's pretty nice!

I think I actually have the solution to my boredom. All it took was several days worth of getting used to the lifestyle. Lock?
Bye says the cookie.
Neuromancer

Post by Neuromancer »

cookie wrote: ...list seems way better. I'd probably steal some ideas.
Of course, thats the point, isnt it?
cookie wrote: I think I actually have the solution to my boredom. All it took was several days worth of getting used to the lifestyle. Lock?
No way, you think you are the only one there whos bored? :) What about linking this topic into our signatures and let other people share their ideas too?

Here is yet another, crappy, but still, idea: Play WoW :) It will eat your life, for several years, but cmon, its fun. And you even dont have to pay for it when you play on private server.

Edit: Several additional ideas from mentioned google search:
Go to a gun range and try out some rental pistols.
Learn how to tie some knots
Make your own custom shirts (batik technique for example or send flex/flox basis to local print company)
Hang a windchime on a tree in a parking lot.
Try bookcrossing
Order something or better, start this shop in you area, or bring it into effect between your friends -> give them something in exchange for one beer or so
Write one-sentence story.
Find and climb an outdoor climbing wall.
cookie

Post by cookie »

Neuromancer wrote: Here is yet another, crappy, but still, idea: Play WoW :) It will eat your life, for several years, but cmon, its fun. And you even dont have to pay for it when you play on private server.
Already played before. I have an invite on the Wow private server Bored Aussies if anyone wants in xD
Bye says the cookie.