A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by revansurik »

Well, now that RL gave my a break, I made some changes to the coding in both Legend of the Water Dragon and Burning Revenge which should correct this bug of starting Burning Revenge with a resetted side. This correction is in version 0.5.1, which is uploaded already, in both the 1.11 and 1.12 servers. However, it will be necessary to replay Legend of the Water Dragon, beginning with the ASoF-Legend of the Water Dragon.gz file, sorry for that :oops:
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok some feedback on the latest two scenarios I finished:

Burning Revenge: Wherein I learned that putting stone elementals on the wall results in clay pottery. Still I won in plenty of time and observed the 1st occurrence of a Fire Dragon's irresistible urge to breath fire on a poor defenseless wisp who was only stealing villages. The wisp did 5 hp damage before dying. :lol:

Twilight of the Kingdoms:

I loved Dead Drake Lake in the middle of the map. I got to use my 2 Nymphs, my one Udine and 6 more tidals. I ended up with 4 Nymphs and probably would have had more if the drakes hadn't got really lucky with their fire breath one turn. I forgot to give my allies orders so I encountered the suicide elf clan. But that was ok. I went forward with them and the target trolls and fell just a turn short of sweeping the board clear of reptiles. I did that to level up some more air elementals and that worked well. I also saw the dragon go after a wisp again and take damage again! :lol: :lol: :lol:
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Burning Revenge: Wherein I learned that putting stone elementals on the wall results in clay pottery. Still I won in plenty of time and observed the 1st occurrence of a Fire Dragon's irresistible urge to breath fire on a poor defenseless wisp who was only stealing villages. The wisp did 5 hp damage before dying. :lol:
:lol:
I loved Dead Drake Lake in the middle of the map. I got to use my 2 Nymphs, my one Udine and 6 more tidals. I ended up with 4 Nymphs and probably would have had more if the drakes hadn't got really lucky with their fire breath one turn
Yeah, I always do that too - send 2 or more Ethereal Orbs to back the water ladies and they become a nigh-invincible fortress against drakes :-D

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok, I set the Trolls and elves behavior to defensive in the next scenario and yet small groups of elves and large ones of trolls still rush out to their doom. What else can I do? :? :?
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Ok, I set the Trolls and elves behavior to defensive in the next scenario and yet small groups of elves and large ones of trolls still rush out to their doom. What else can I do? :? :?
Well, they'll inevitably move towards the enemy at some point, they don't sit idly on the wall, if that's what you want them to do. I actually programmed them to move in a defensive formation; for trolls it won't be much aid, but for the elves it works well, as they use the forest to the south of Garet-Desh to their advantage.
You can also reinforce the elves and the trolls with some strong units. I always send Maat, Myra and Alenya to the west front, as that's where the fire dragons attack, and send half of Dvalin's dwarvish army and some of Varthan's Aragwaithi to fight alongside the elves; with this tactic, I never let a drake inside the city :-)

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

revansurik wrote:
regnak wrote:Ok, I set the Trolls and elves behavior to defensive in the next scenario and yet small groups of elves and large ones of trolls still rush out to their doom. What else can I do? :? :?
Well, they'll inevitably move towards the enemy at some point, they don't sit idly on the wall, if that's what you want them to do. I actually programmed them to move in a defensive formation; for trolls it won't be much aid, but for the elves it works well, as they use the forest to the south of Garet-Desh to their advantage.
You can also reinforce the elves and the trolls with some strong units. I always send Maat, Myra and Alenya to the west front, as that's where the fire dragons attack, and send half of Dvalin's dwarvish army and some of Varthan's Aragwaithi to fight alongside the elves; with this tactic, I never let a drake inside the city :-)
Yes I would like them to meet the enemy on the walls. I just tried having them not only defensive but guarding each other. It slowed the Trolls down a little but eh elves decided to send a few guys out to make faces at the Fire Dragons so the first two attacked in the open instead of at the walls. :augh: :augh:
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote: Well, they'll inevitably move towards the enemy at some point, they don't sit idly on the wall, if that's what you want them to do. I actually programmed them to move in a defensive formation; for trolls it won't be much aid, but for the elves it works well, as they use the forest to the south of Garet-Desh to their advantage.
Yes I would like them to meet the enemy on the walls. I just tried having them not only defensive but guarding each other. It slowed the Trolls down a little but eh elves decided to send a few guys out to make faces at the Fire Dragons so the first two attacked in the open instead of at the walls. :augh: :augh:[/quote]

Don't forget to define which side elves and trolls will focus on. Command the elves to focus on the dragon to the south (not Shek'har), and they shouldn't be target by Shek'har's fire dragons. ;-)
Also, fighting the drakes in the open may be better, as they only have 30% defence there. If they attack units on the wall, they'll be standing on chasm, where they have 40% defence - and where they'll have more mobility, as they can fly and surround defending units on the wall more easily.

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

I don't like fighting the drakes in the open where my guys only get 30 0r 40% defense and where I don't know if they will suddenly get a second wave. I thought I was going to kill Shek'tar by turn 12 but his unwelcome influx of troops on turns 9( a full keep) and 10(five more). I have no gold for more troops and a lot of my units needed time to heal.

From having him on the ropes I now have 9 units facing 30! :augh: :augh: :augh:
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:I don't like fighting the drakes in the open where my guys only get 30 0r 40% defense and where I don't know if they will suddenly get a second wave. I thought I was going to kill Shek'tar by turn 12 but his unwelcome influx of troops on turns 9( a full keep) and 10(five more). I have no gold for more troops and a lot of my units needed time to heal.

From having him on the ropes I now have 9 units facing 30! :augh: :augh: :augh:
If you mean Fires of Hope, well... First of all, don't try to kill Khrakrahs (that's the dragon in that scenario, not Shek'har ;-) ); use the keeps on your margin of the river to defend your side, thus forcing the drakes to fight on the water and the swamp. Moviing some water elementals to the mouth of the river have always proved very effective to me, as drakes are nearly helpless against Undines and Nymphs in watery terrain.
I have good news for you, though: Fires of Hope is the last you'll be seeing of drakes :-P

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

I am talking about the Sky Dragon descends. I was a couple turns from killing SheK'har when he got a full keep of reinforcements followed by 5 more units the next turn.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:I am talking about the Sky Dragon descends. I was a couple turns from killing SheK'har when he got a full keep of reinforcements followed by 5 more units the next turn.
Ah, well, that was to disencourage the player from attacking the dragon leaders; they can't die there, Shek'har will appear in later scenarios, while Agadhor, Shakkha and Niddhon will be part of the Sky Soul. There was nothing in the objectives saying you had to kill them... :whistle:

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Well then why were you encouraging fighting them in the open field? if you cannot kill any of the leaders it becomes pointless. And you saying I am not going to get to kill that whiny dragon? I have had a real bad weak between a sinus infection and some [censored] breaking into my house last night, I really want to kill something that counts. That "Son you are only wound and you will pay!" aggravates me to no end. I wanted to Godzilla 2014 him
Spoiler:

and that was before the break in.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Well then why were you encouraging fighting them in the open field? if you cannot kill any of the leaders it becomes pointless. And you saying I am not going to get to kill that whiny dragon? I have had a real bad weak between a sinus infection and some [censored] breaking into my house last night, I really want to kill something that counts. That "Son you are only wound and you will pay!" aggravates me to no end. I wanted to Godzilla 2014 him
Spoiler:

I never encouraged the player to fight on open field; you have to defend the city, remember?
And don't worry, you'll have a chance to vent your anger in scenarios 16 and 17, specially in 17, Ashes of the War ;-)
Also, sorry for all those problems, sometimes the universe just decides to go Shao Kahn and give us a combo of bad luck packed in a single week/day before we can even fight back :-/

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

revansurik wrote:
regnak wrote:Well then why were you encouraging fighting them in the open field? if you cannot kill any of the leaders it becomes pointless. And you saying I am not going to get to kill that whiny dragon? I have had a real bad weak between a sinus infection and some [censored] breaking into my house last night, I really want to kill something that counts. That "Son you are only wound and you will pay!" aggravates me to no end. I wanted to Godzilla 2014 him
Spoiler:

I never encouraged the player to fight on open field; you have to defend the city, remember?
And don't worry, you'll have a chance to vent your anger in scenarios 16 and 17, specially in 17, Ashes of the War ;-)
Also, sorry for all those problems, sometimes the universe just decides to go Shao Kahn and give us a combo of bad luck packed in a single week/day before we can even fight back :-/

What you said earlier:

Don't forget to define which side elves and trolls will focus on. Command the elves to focus on the dragon to the south (not Shek'har), and they shouldn't be target by Shek'har's fire dragons. ;-)
Also, fighting the drakes in the open may be better, as they only have 30% defence there. If they attack units on the wall, they'll be standing on chasm, where they have 40% defence - and where they'll have more mobility, as they can fly and surround defending units on the wall more easily.

sure sounds like encouraging to fight in the open. Also what you said about sending the Elves and half the dwarves south to attack that SE Drgaon.
regnak

Post by regnak »

Farewell part one: How in the world am I supposed to get through a forest crawling with Level 2 and 3 enemies with no troops and no losses?