Campaign Option

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spike9702231

Campaign Option

Post by Spike9702231 »

Hi there ! been playing this since a while back, mainly with friends for quick pvp !

Recently I started the campaigns to learn more about the lore and see unique scenarios and I really like it :)

The only downside Is the max number of turns, sometimes I play a great scenario and when im let's say 2 turns from killing ennemy leader "well too bad you only have 1 more turn" is kind of anoying, I figure the max number of turns would make a lot of sense on some specific missions like : surviving X turns, need to run away before X turns, Need to kill a leader before reinforcements arrive etc.

I love the game , loving the missions, but like 90% of the time those max turns only remove fun from the game for me, might just be me and you guys might love the concept and not want to change it all I jsut figured I'd mention how cool it would be if you had the option to have those turns or not (maybe only put them on hardest difficulty ?)

Have a nice day and keep the great work !
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Campaign Option

Post by beetlenaut »

Unfortunately, turn limits are essential. When you complete a scenario, you earn gold. The amount is calculated from the number of villages times the number of turns you had left. What would we do instead if we didn't have turn limits? We also can't let players sit on one scenario indefinitely leveling up their army to an unbeatable squad of superheroes by killing huge numbers of level-one units. That wouldn't be much fun, so how else would we force players to move on eventually? Nobody has come up with a better way to do these things, but maybe you have an idea...

The easier difficulties should always give you plenty of time to win. If they don't, you can take it up with the campaign designers. Maybe you can convince them to add a couple turns. Also, you can add turns yourself any time with debug mode. (I guess that would be cheating, but maybe you would prefer that to losing on time.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Spike9702231 wrote:sometimes I play a great scenario
If you are doing good but not meeting the turn limit, it usually helps to shift your strategy more towards speed in the next try/tries.
I have a cunning plan.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

There are times when a turn limit makes no sense from a narrative perspective though. Many scenarios would work better with a turn target rather than a turn limit. Of course, it's feasible that in this situation a tedious player might sit on most of the villages in the game and farm gold and XP, but that can be gotten round by only rewarding gold and XP during the turns up to the turn target. ("There's enough crops in the fields to feed our troops for three days, after that, we're on our own")
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That would work as effective solution, only that players would inevitably start coming and reporting it as bug.