Version 0.4.3

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dave
Founding Developer

Version 0.4.3

Post by Dave »

I know I said after 0.4.2 there would be 'experimental' versions, but there are still some important features I want to implement before then, hence this version.

http://wesnoth.whitevine.net/files/wesnoth-0.4.3.tar.gz

Changelog:

Version 0.4.3:
- made it so that when a directory is scanned for files, only files ending in .cfg will be used. This is mainly to stop vim swap files from being used
- changed AI's movement routines to make it slightly more intelligent
- added in difficulty levels - easy, medium, and hard
- scenarios 1 and 2 now have easy/medium/hard difficulty levels implemented for them
- when an enemy dies, its energy bar now fades out with it
- added 'turbo' mode in preferences area. In turbo mode, the operation of the shift key is inverted. Turbo mode and full screen mode settings are now saved to the preferences file.
- made the time of day go dawn - day - day - dusk - night - night as suggested by miyo
- fixed up bugs in the AI's pathfinding, the AI should now be substantially smarter
- allowed setting of custom target units for the AI

Note in particular, the AI improvements are rather significant. It would be great if they could be tested. On the 'hard' level, in the first scenario, the AI should concentrate on going for Konrad and Delfador.

Oh and, I added a special 'debug' mode, accessible with a -debug command line argument. When in debug mode, the path an AI unit is intending to take to a target is denoted by a series of crosses. Helps you work out what the AI is thinking.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Has scenarios been fixed for this new scheduler? (dawn - day - day - dusk - night - night)

eg. in Valley of Death you have to survive for three days (?) - previously it was 12 turns and now it should be 18 turns.

- Miyo
zas

Forgotten files in 0.4.3 tarball

Post by zas »

zas@ifrit:~/src/wesnoth-0.4.3$ find . -name '\.*.swp' -ls
934095 12 -rw------- 1 zas zas 12288 ao 31 14:39 ./data/maps/.map4.swp
934100 12 -rw------- 1 zas zas 12288 ao 31 14:39 ./data/maps/.map6.swp
934107 12 -rw------- 1 zas zas 12288 ao 31 14:39 ./data/maps/.map-test.swp
229516 12 -rw------- 1 zas zas 12288 ao 31 14:39 ./.ai_move.hpp.swp
229517 16 -rw------- 1 zas zas 16384 ao 31 14:39 ./.display.hpp.swp
229519 16 -rw------- 1 zas zas 16384 ao 31 14:39 ./.game_events.cpp.swp
229520 96 -rw------- 1 zas zas 94208 ao 31 14:39 ./.display.cpp.swp
zas

Segfault while opening preferences menu

Post by zas »

Loading a new campaign, mode normal, just after intro, open menu and select preferences -> segfault here.
zas

Difficulty menu

Post by zas »

Normal mode should be the default in difficulty menu, imho.
zas

TODO

Post by zas »

mkdir src && mv *.cpp *.hpp Makefile src/

Just an idea ;)
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Segfault while opening preferences menu

Post by Dave »

zas wrote:Loading a new campaign, mode normal, just after intro, open menu and select preferences -> segfault here.
I can't reproduce this. Can you reproduce it consistently? Would you be able to send me the contents of your $HOME/.wesnoth directory?

EDIT: Actually....are you running using French? If so then I can reproduce the problem and can likely fix it.

David
Jaramir

Re: Segfault while opening preferences menu

Post by Jaramir »

is it normal that is the second scenarion of the campaing (the one with the isle) the orcs army tray to pass trough the sea between the mountains? :shock:
Halfling Power!!
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Jaramir,

I haven't really tested that scenario much with the new pathfinding changes.

You can try using the -debug switch to see where the AI is going. I'll look into it.

David
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

miyo wrote:Has scenarios been fixed for this new scheduler? (dawn - day - day - dusk - night - night)

eg. in Valley of Death you have to survive for three days (?) - previously it was 12 turns and now it should be 18 turns.

- Miyo
Valley of Death is still 12 turns. Same as other scenarios.

I'm not sure if I like these 6-turn days. Has anyone else formed an opinion on them yet?

David
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Put them as an option.

Post by Guest »

I don't think having major game rules as an option is generally a good idea. At least not in the campaign mode - it could be ok in multiplayer.

Think about it - it'd totally change the style and feel of each scenario depending on whether the days are 4 turns or 6 turns. Players wouldn't be able to compare games effectively unless they were sure they were on the same day-length, and scenarios would have to be tested for both day-lengths. Also, it'd be hard to put anything in saying things like "we must do this within 3 days", because '3 days' would depend upon the day-length.

I think we have to decide whether 4 turn days or 6 turn days are better. I'm still not sure. I will certainly leave 6-turn-days on for a while, so that people can make up their minds whether they're good or not.

David
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Oooops...above post is from me.

David
miyo

Post by miyo »

Dave,

What is that you don't like in this new scheduler (6 parts)?

AI needs to understand to fight defensively during daylight. Don't come too near player units, instead stay beyond reach (don't retreat... advance defensively and do it as much beyond reach as possible).

Someting like. dawn (aggressive 1, defensive 2), daylight (aggressive 1, defensive 3), dusk (aggressive 2, defensive 1), night (agressive 3, defensive 1).

- Miyo
miyo

Post by miyo »

If AI is given some neutral units (humans? like Dunlending, Haradrim, Easterling and Southron did join Saruman and Sauron in Lord of the Rings) those can be used to defend (block paths) chaotic units during daylight hours.

- Miyo