1.1.4a problems

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
ILikeProgramming

1.1.4a problems

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I've stated playing UTBS and the game has various bugs in it. Here they are (from least to most severe)

1. The save files take F O R E V E R to load. The suspicious part is that the game warned me that my files are from another version of Wesnoth towards the end of loading (or it just sits around half a minute doing nothing, then tells me, then loads)

2. Flying damage from all of the sandy landscape occasionally ends up on top of the menu. It looks like the minimap is taking damage. :?

3. The campaign story lines are long. This is a good thing, but some are so long half of the text doesn't have spacew on the screen. I end up missing out on the story.

4. Most importantly, the game crashes on certain dialogue (For me it crashed on scenario 2 after killing the leader and at the end-of-scenario conversation)
Aloo

Problems with 1.1.4a

Post by Aloo »

If I launch the game in windowed mode and maximize the window the top menu is half hidden behind the window. Im playing on Win XP pro. Didnt experience the problem with any older versions.
torangan
Retired Developer

Re: 1.1.4a problems

Post by torangan »

ILikeProgramming wrote:3. The campaign story lines are long. This is a good thing, but some are so long half of the text doesn't have spacew on the screen. I end up missing out on the story.

4. Most importantly, the game crashes on certain dialogue (For me it crashed on scenario 2 after killing the leader and at the end-of-scenario conversation)
The first is a reported bug, the second already fixed in SVN. It's still those damned Photoshop ICC profiles together with problems in updating the version of libpng on Windows.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Re: Problems with 1.1.4a

Post by Yogibear »

Aloo wrote:If I launch the game in windowed mode and maximize the window the top menu is half hidden behind the window. Im playing on Win XP pro. Didnt experience the problem with any older versions.
This is a known problem and i looked already into it. I concluded that it is a problem in the underlying graphics library (SDL) that does not provide the means to detect a window maximize event under windows. But your comment makes me think again...

Are you sure, older versions don't have that? Which ones exactly?
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

ILikeProgramming wrote:I've stated playing UTBS and the game has various bugs in it. Here they are (from least to most severe)

1. The save files take F O R E V E R to load. The suspicious part is that the game warned me that my files are from another version of Wesnoth towards the end of loading (or it just sits around half a minute doing nothing, then tells me, then loads)
Yes, it is a huge campaign and at the moment we have to live with long loading times. We maybe can do some performance tuning but i would not expect it to get significant better until past the next stable release 1.2 (which is hopefully not too far away).

The warnings are by design. Every time the version number changes, you get one if you load old savefiles, even if they are 100% compatible. I always ignored it. Going on with playing shouldn't be a problem, watching replays might, depending on changed unit stats in the meantime.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
ILikeProgramming

Yogi Bear wrote:
ILikeProgramming wrote:I've stated playing UTBS and the game has various bugs in it. Here they are (from least to most severe)

The warnings are by design. Every time the version number changes, you get one if you load old savefiles, even if they are 100% compatible. I always ignored it. Going on with playing shouldn't be a problem, watching replays might, depending on changed unit stats in the meantime.
I know they're a feature, it's just that they come at the last step of loading (or the game does NOTHING for half a minute)
torangan wrote:The first is a reported bug
Any chance it either gets fixed or the strings get split?
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

ILikeProgramming wrote:
torangan wrote:The first is a reported bug
Any chance it either gets fixed or the strings get split?
What type of question is that??? It's a bug, so of course the intention is to fix it. It's not as if there were a bug report marked invalid or any sane reason to ignore this. It's just that someone with the required skills needs to find the time and motivation to fix it.

ILikeProgramming

I meant soon

Actually, it won't be too bad to split some strings in UTBS.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Wesnoth is open source, you can't tell how soon a bug will be fixed unless you're doing it yourself. In this particular case, rusty just assigned the bug to himself so someone is working on it and you may hope to see it fixed in the next release.
Obviously, there is the side condition that rusty is not too busy, doesn't give up because he doesn't know this part of the code well enough... As I'm the guy who reported the bug first time into the bug tracker, I obviously hope for him to fix the bug soon myself.

Aloo

Post by Aloo »

Are you sure, older versions don't have that? Which ones exactly?
Im not 100% sure but Ive been playing all the versions this way for over a year now. I didnt notice this earlier so I guessed its a new problem.
Funny thing is I didnt have it happen again today so I cant post a screenshot...