Fonts

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ihsan

Fonts

Post by ihsan »

We have been preparing the Turkish translation.

Everting is fine except the font, the Turkish letter , ı , ( i without the dot )
is a little under where it should be.

Does each translation has its own fonts. If so how we can chance it!
If not what can we do?

Regards. Ihsan.
silene

Post by silene »

There is not one font for each translation, some of them are shared. There are three fonts in the default release (located in the fonts/ folder): Bepa-Roman, FreeSans, Vera. And two other fonts for Japanese and Chinese that are not shipped by default.

Concerning your dotless i, you can first try to see if one of the three released fonts has a character that suits you better. That is the prefered solution.

But if it is not enough, you will have to search for a free font that suits your need.

Another solution is to modify one font so that the character looks fine. Since you are probably the only language to use this letter, it wouldn't be a problem.
ihsan

Thanks

Post by ihsan »

FreeSans worked better. I'm looking for a better font now.
By the way, I have

WARNING: setlocale() failed for tr_TR.

two times in stderr file. What is the reason for this?

Thank you, Ihsan.
silene

Re: Thanks

Post by silene »

ihsan wrote:FreeSans worked better.
Then it is quite simple, just change the order of the fonts the next time you update your translations. It should be the first item of wesnoth/tr.po.
WARNING: setlocale() failed for tr_TR.
two times in stderr file. What is the reason for this?
There can be a lot of reasons. I don't even want to start explaining without knowing your system. It is not an error, just a warning; if your translations are installed and you are seeing them when playing the game, then it works fine and you shouldn't worry.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

The error you get seems to be normal with the windows version, though translations are working. Under Linux you got to worry, because when you see that error you won't see the translation. But all in all, Windows does not like gettext too much. This results in some weird errors. The one you see, is one of them. The other one is that you have to restart the App, to get language changes working. But this is the fault of Windows. As long as you can see the translation everything is fine.
TomJoad

Post by TomJoad »

I have just installed 0.9.1 on windows too, and i noticed that many i18n problems came up. The same happened to our hungarian ő (o with double | above) characters, they're a bit lower. After that, many strings show up in english (e.g. the intro, the most of the help...). Also when i change languages they totally mess up and mix up. Under linux i haven't realized these problems, so maybe something is wrong with the windows compilation. Do you also think so?
Last edited by TomJoad on May 2nd, 2005, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

I have also experienced some problems in Slovak version for Windows... some letters higher than others, some of them appear wrong. (It was not like that, previously.)